Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???

Go down 
+3
jesse031081
irishrt5.7
Dragond76
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dragond76
CAMM Member

time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? Empty
PostSubject: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 2:49 pm

Well my factory shocks and struts are officially past their prime and are in need of replacement. I scanned Ebay for some options and so far I've found two choices that seem like feasible upgrades since my Magnum is basically bone stock still.
1. Drop Zone shocks, struts and lowering springs. This kit will lower the car a bit and should improve handling vastly over the stock setup, plus the price is comparable to OEM replacements.
2. Koni STR.T shocks and struts. These are supposed to be direct replacements for the stock setup and are also supposed to improve handling.

I'm leaning towards the Koni setup since their name is synonomous with quality and performance but was hoping to get some opinions from others who have more experience with aftermarket suspension upgrades to possibly point me in the right direction. I need to stay as close to $300 as possible for the parts and am open to suggestions...
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 3:04 pm

My opinion i would say Koni but thats just me...
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 3:24 pm

I ordered my eibachs through Maryland speed and got them fast. In my opinion best money spent on my car
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 4:06 pm

I'd say ANYTHING would be better than stock LOL But Experience from my look, are Eibachs, they're pretty good, But KONI is a good name as well, I've installed Drop Zones before, and they are LOW
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 4:22 pm

Why not go with a srt8 set up. You can find them with low miles for around $300
Back to top Go down
Dragond76
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 6:20 pm

Ok I'll investigate the Eibach's, thanks! Out of curiosity how would the srt8 setup compare to my other options here?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 9:09 pm

I can only compare to a stock R/T set up, I have never had any of the above mentioned. You will get close to a 1" drop and it rides and handles a lot better than a R/T set up imo. Maybe Jon or Adam could elaborate a little more.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2011, 9:46 pm

the SRT suspension is nice. you just have to decide if you are going to lower your car in the future or not. stock or SRT struts eventually wear out if you use lowering springs on them since they are not made to always be at the bottom of their stroke. 06-08 SRT's had nevomat load leveling shocks. you can't put lowering springs on nevomats cause they will adjust for the springs and don't drop the rear end, but i think the nevomat shocks handled great. the SRT's like to have a stiff rear suspension.

koni's are great on lowered cars. not sure how they do on stock height but they for sure would be better than stock R/T shocks.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 12:03 am

I have Eibachs, and really like them. And Jon make great points as well about the SRT suspension too, I know Jon has Tein and likes it as far as I know, plus there is adjustiblity in ride height with those. Shawn has the SRT suspension and was enough drop for him with the body kit and all, SO I'd have to say any of those are good choices depending on what kind of a drop or upgrade you want in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Dragond76
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 10:06 am

I wasn't planning on dropping the car really, I just want to improve the handling over the stock ride. I'll look around and price out the srt shocks, if anyone knows where I can find a good deal on any of these upgrades please let me know.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 10:15 am

LXFORUMS.COM and ebay...
Back to top Go down
scarbs
CAMM Member
scarbs

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 11:18 am

I have KWv2. I love them been on the car since 05 and have had only one problem. The rear dampers have a rubber bushing that failed over time. KW knows about the problem and they happily send out new ones.
Back to top Go down
Dragond76
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 1:44 pm

I found someone on LXforums that has the rear srt8 shocks and springs so I guess all I need now is the front struts. I did some checking on Ebay and haven't found any that look correct yet. Does anyone know the Bilstein part number of the struts I need?
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 7:07 pm

Check Craigslist as well
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 7:11 pm

kwv2 are def awesome also we have them on debs magnum...
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 7:11 pm

http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/2470724672.html
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2011, 9:59 pm

These will lower his car around 2 inches...im not sure he wanted to lower...just better handling...
Back to top Go down
Dragond76
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2011, 12:51 pm

Ok I bought the rear nivomats and springs from an SRT8 off of LXForums so all I need now are the front Bilsteins I guess. So far I haven't been able to locate any...
Back to top Go down
Dragond76
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 10:19 am

So do I need to replace the stock front springs with the srt8 springs when I replace the struts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???   time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

time to replace stock shocks/struts, what to get???
Page 1 of 1