Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

spark plugs?

Go down 
+4
Shawn1112
firestartr420
liljoejoe54
5.7daytona
8 posters
AuthorMessage
5.7daytona
CAMM Member

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 9:18 am

hey guys i am coming up on having to change my spark plugs for my 5.7 Hemi. i was wondering if anybody used different spark plugs then what is recommended for our engines? the reason why i am asking is that $450 every 30,000 miles is kinda expensive and was wondering if i go aftermarket what is the life interval for them? i would rather pay a little more now and not worry about them for 60 or 100,000 miles. any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 9:30 am

If your internals on your engine are stock then get the stock Champion plugs. Aftermarket plugs can damage the coil packs and you will not notice any gain in performance over the stock plugs unless your engine if modified or supercharged. Where are you going that it costs $450 to change the plugs? If you want, get the plugs and swing by my house and ill put them in for waaaaaay cheaper than that.

Back to top Go down
5.7daytona
CAMM Member

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 9:33 am

well that is what the dealer quoted me at. seems kinda steep to me since the plugs are pretty simple to get to. yes my internals are stock so i might as well go to autozone and pick up the plugs.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 9:35 am

5.7daytona wrote:
well that is what the dealer quoted me at. seems kinda steep to me since the plugs are pretty simple to get to. yes my internals are stock so i might as well go to autozone and pick up the plugs.

Yeah I assumed it was the dealer. I have done spark plugs on the 5.7 about 5 times already and it only takes about an hour. $450 is way too much to pay. If you are comfortable with a wrench, you can do it yourself. If not, like I said ill do it for cheap.

In case you dont know already, the 5.7 takes 16 spark plugs.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 9:47 am

450?!?! shit Kevin, swing by my place and lets change em together... should only take like an hour.... if you just want to do them yourself, all you need is a ratchet with a spark plug socket (it has a rubber grommet inside to prevent cracking of the porcelin)
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 11:40 am

$450.00???? Stealership and its best!
Back to top Go down
5.7daytona
CAMM Member

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 11:58 am

Thanks for the offer Joe but Tom is in my neighborhood. Tom I would like to learn how to change my plugs and will take you up on the offer when I have time. Will pm you and see when our schedules workout.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 5:38 pm

no prob...
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2011, 10:02 pm

shiy i want mine done now,the dealership is a rip-off when my sunroof needed adjusting they wanted $600 ,i was referred to lx total cost$0
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2011, 12:18 pm

I had my car at the dealership for an oil change since they mailed me a cheap coupon. I asked them about a quote for the plug change and they wanted $400.

I got the plugs and the necessary tools from Rock Auto and plan on doing this job myself one of these weekends.

I'm far from being a mechanic but I like to try as long as I understand the job and there are many good write ups on the plug change online.

I'm putting 15k miles on a year and don't want to pay $400 every other year just for plugs!
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2011, 12:33 pm

BigM wrote:
I had my car at the dealership for an oil change since they mailed me a cheap coupon. I asked them about a quote for the plug change and they wanted $400.

I got the plugs and the necessary tools from Rock Auto and plan on doing this job myself one of these weekends.

I'm far from being a mechanic but I like to try as long as I understand the job and there are many good write ups on the plug change online.

I'm putting 15k miles on a year and don't want to pay $400 every other year just for plugs!

Its very easy and straight forward. Just make sure you disconnect your battery before you start. Also in some places like cylinders 7 & 8 it will be tight so make sure you have different size extensions. You might have to take the extension off the wrench and drop the socket/extension down in the hole, then put the socket wrench back on to loosen the spark plug. Then remove the wrench again and just use your hands to turn the socket/extension to finish removing the plug.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2011, 12:51 pm

BigM wrote:

if you arent to familiar with doing a job like this... as Joe said, it is pretty straight forward, but I would still suggest you have someone there with you who does know what they are doing incase something happens.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2011, 10:41 pm

plugs are easy! do it yourself or take somebody up on their offer to help... see one, do one, teach one
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2011, 11:49 pm

I run pulstar plugs without issue and small power mpg gain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

spark plugs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: spark plugs?   spark plugs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

spark plugs?
Page 1 of 1