Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)

Go down 
+4
HemiMag
eviltrycycle
RT!st!C
Okie6.1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) Empty
PostSubject: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2010, 10:14 pm

I was outside putting some stuff in my car and when I opended the door I was greeted with a chime from my magnum.(Never happened before) Then I noticed that my grille lights were on. So I grabbed the remote to turn them off and I heard what sound like several weak chimes coming from the car then the reciever that controls is smoking. I run to see what the hell is going on and sure enough all the electronics on the inside are glowing red. Needless to say i quickly removed it and dropped it in some water and then removed all the wiring and lights. Started car up and nothing abnormal. Here is a couple pics of the receiver after its water bath. Scared the shit out of me Tom please check yours out. I will be contacting Oznuim to inform them of the problem. Can I catch a break first brakes giving me hell and now this. I hate the smell of electrical fires smell doesn't go away.
Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) 154919_1603220492362_1591597014_1392519_7015984_n
Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) 155600_1603220812370_1591597014_1392521_7746445_n
Back to top Go down
RT!st!C
CAMM Pro
RT!st!C

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2010, 10:35 pm

theres a good kind?
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2010, 11:04 pm

Holy crap Nick! Glad you caught it before it became a huge issue.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2010, 11:05 pm

I'm glad you caught on time. That looks like an inverter to a ccfl halo or sonething
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 5:55 am

That's not good! Glad you were right there, Nick. Thanks for the quick heads up. I'll get mine disconnected today, asap. Joey has 2 of these. I think they are still in the box, though.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 6:26 am

That sucks Nick. Just out of curiosity did you have an inline fuse on that piece that was smoking?
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 7:49 am

Rob the good kind would be airbrushed or something similar. I'm not sure what happened or what caused it. Shawn i didn't put a inline fuse that may have prevented this but can't change anything now. All the wires connected to it felt hot to the touch so those all got yanked. I will be calling Oznium during my lunch break to inform them of this problem.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 9:04 am

Holy shit! Im glad you caught it before it spread. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah Tom, they are still in the box but I am going to have to think twice about putting them in. Ill wait to hear what Oznium tells him.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 10:48 am

X2. I pulled the power wire off of the fuse box + terminal today. It should be unpowered now. Waiting for report from Nick.

Last edited by Illinois Chaos on December 1st 2010, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 3:24 pm

Ok spoke with a sales rep at oznium and they are sending me all new stuff. The said to use a in line fuse rated at 1 to 2 amp. Suspected voltage spike was the cause not a defect with product. So Tom and Joey looks like put a fuse in will save this from happening to you.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 3:44 pm

Thats why I asked. When I did alarms I was taught to put an in-line fuse on everything that had constant power. An in-line fuse is the biggest and probably the cheapest thing you can do to protect your self from this.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 4:39 pm

Glad Oznium is sending you all new stuff
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 5:18 pm

Yeah Oznium is great customer service is excellent my stuff has shipped already and I called them at 3:15pm.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 5:48 pm

Okie5.7 wrote:
Ok spoke with a sales rep at oznium and they are sending me all new stuff. The said to use a in line fuse rated at 1 to 2 amp. Suspected voltage spike was the cause not a defect with product. So Tom and Joey looks like put a fuse in will save this from happening to you.

But that wont really solve your problem, it will only prevent it from burning up again. The car was off so why was there a voltage spike? Thats the problem u have to look for.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 5:52 pm

Well I will be investigating it before I reinstall anything. I didn't notice any problems with anything electrical today.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 7:46 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Okie5.7 wrote:

But that wont really solve your problem, it will only prevent it from burning up again. The car was off so why was there a voltage spike? Thats the problem u have to look for.
Who really knows if it was a voltage spike? The hot wire could have been already burning when he was driving it. It could be a ton of different things.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2010, 9:25 pm

our cars have always had bad issues with voltage spikes on startup. its the reason we need voltage regulators for our halos to prevent popping LED's.

honestly just don't have your grill lights on when starting or turning off the car. same goes for halos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)   Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fire in the engine bay(Not the good kind)
Page 1 of 1