Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clank clunk goes the front end.

Go down 
+4
Shawn1112
300Crocket
liljoejoe54
eortiz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
eortiz
CAMM Member

Clank clunk goes the front end. Empty
PostSubject: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 1:26 pm

Hope all is starting the summer great !
My suspension is making alot of clunking noise when I go over bumps - Took it to the dealer and they told me its a Right lower lateral arm or tension strut? - will replace for 320 dollars. Is this a good deal or can I find it aftermarket somewhere - I called Auto Zone and they show no item listed?? Has anybody replaced this linkage?
2006 SRT Charger
Chicago, ill
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 1:58 pm

You can buy the tensioner strut from the dealership for less than $100. Then bring your car to an install day and we can put it in for you or talk to Adam (moparcharger06) and you can bring it to his shop and he will give you a good better deal than the dealership. The tensioner struts are on backorder right now but you might want to check Moparpartsamerica.com for one. They might have it.

EDIT: Here, I found them for $55 each. You might as well change both at the same time since these actually wear down pretty quick and there is a good chance that since one of yours is making noise, the other one will start real soon.
http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214583&chapter=&Sectionids=19,2512&groupid=2523&subgroupid=4470&componentid=47294&make=8&model=Charger&year=2007&graphicID=PB06305&callout=13&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

The part is #13 in the illustration.
Back to top Go down
eortiz
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 2:27 pm

This is for a SRT8 2006 charger?
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 2:45 pm

eortiz wrote:
This is for a SRT8 2006 charger?

It should fit the SRT.
Back to top Go down
300Crocket
CAMM Member
300Crocket

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 2:52 pm

What a great group we have here!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 4:17 pm

Go to car quest, they are the cheapest. Lower tension strut is a pice of cake to do. The hardest part is beating the old one off. I just did mine about a month ago.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 4:24 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Go to car quest, they are the cheapest. Lower tension strut is a pice of cake to do. The hardest part is beating the old one off. I just did mine about a month ago.

Do you have the part number from car quest? I have to change one for a friend on her 300 but the dealership has been out of stock for over a month.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 4:32 pm

I dont but just call them, thay also call it a lower control arm. If they dont have it chances are they will in a hour. Those guys are great imo.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 4:36 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
I dont but just call them, thay also call it a lower control arm. If they dont have it chances are they will in a hour. Those guys are great imo.

I just got off the phone with them. They want $112 and can have it here first thing in the morning. Yeah they are pretty good, there is one a half block from my house that me and my Dad always get parts from.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 7:39 pm

the SRT one is a different part number if i remember correct. there was a long post about it on lxforums and how the SRT one is beefier and they changed the design on the newer R/T ones.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 10:12 pm

Those are VERY common to go bad, Yeah CArquest is a local place to get them at a decent price, I've done a couple sets of those, and even on mine too. If you need a hane let me know, The yARE hard to get off, you have to unlesh you're inner anger and beat the heck outta it LOL I;m sure Shawn remembers too, he called me about it LOL
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 4:13 am

Yes I remember, after taking the 2 bolts off, I had to beat the shit out of it with a 3lb sledge.
Back to top Go down
carchitect
CAMM Member
carchitect

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 4:07 pm

A pitman arm puller does wonders to pop these out with little fuss... there is a little extra disassembly required to get it off. You have to take the rotor/dust shield off to get it on there.

The thread I linked to in your LXForums thread has the SRT part numbers and they worked just fine with my '06 R/T.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 5:16 pm

I think I just found my noise, the stabilizer link was pretty loose and the boot was ripped. But how can I tell if the rest of the components are fine?
Back to top Go down
carchitect
CAMM Member
carchitect

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 5:33 pm

moaugust88 wrote:
I think I just found my noise, the stabilizer link was pretty loose and the boot was ripped. But how can I tell if the rest of the components are fine?

it's pretty easy to remove the front sway bar and links to isolate them from the rest of the suspension.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 6:17 pm

How? Want to do it next week when I switch to Quantum Blue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clank clunk goes the front end.   Clank clunk goes the front end. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clank clunk goes the front end.
Page 1 of 1