Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

has anyone done a cam swap??

Go down 
+2
Shawn1112
Mightycarlo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

has anyone done a cam swap?? Empty
PostSubject: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 4:36 pm

im looking to do a 6.1 cam swap in my 5.7, or possibly a comp. piece. I dont want to have to get into the heads and its more for the sound then anything i want. does anyone know what a shop would charge to install and tune if i supplied the needed parts? I'm new here so if this thread is in the wrong place then feel free to move it. Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 5:31 pm

Matt (elcobra44) does them, but I think the last Ram kicked his ass. So to be honest I dont think he is intrested in doing another Ram. He may chime in if he logs on today.
Back to top Go down
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 5:43 pm

Ok thanks, why is a ram different then say a 300 or charger?
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:01 pm

I could help ya with the swap, cant do much for the tune though other than give recomendations. BTW, it was swapping my heads out that kicked his ass.
Back to top Go down
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:05 pm

Recommendations how? What kinda down time is needed for a swap and what kinda cost we looking at?
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:10 pm

If you do a 6.1 you can get away with a DSP or super chips stock tune. Pretty basic, getting into more agressive stuff may require a custom written tune. The cam swap will take the good part of a day, Coolant, oil, filter and some assembly lube would be the cost involved aside from the cam it's self. Some 6.1 exhuast springs and 6.1 rods may also be in order for a larger lift.
Back to top Go down
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:16 pm

Ok, I mean I am a SBC guy, I can rebuild them in my sleep but this newer technology stuff especially mopar just screws me up! All I'm looking for is that cackeling "loose nut in the muffler" sound. I just daily drive my truck and use it to tow my car, boat etc.....how
much would you charge to do it or whatever
if I bought all the shit? Sorry for the million questions
Back to top Go down
Dman70
CAMM Pro
Dman70

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:22 pm

Matt did my swap. If you want my 6.1 cam shoot me an offer. I am not sure if you would have to swap springs though.
Back to top Go down
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:24 pm

Dman70 wrote:
Matt did my swap. If you want my 6.1 cam shoot me an offer. I am not sure if you would have to swap springs though.
let me do alittle more research and I'll let you know, how many miles on it? Thanks
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:32 pm

Dman70 wrote:

It is recommended to swap at least the springs on the 5.7 if you do any type of cam swap. The 5.7 springs just arent tough enough to handle the extra lift.
Back to top Go down
Dman70
CAMM Pro
Dman70

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:39 pm

I had about 4000 on the cam.
Back to top Go down
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:43 pm

Well a spring swap shouldn't be bad if you just pump the cylinder with air
Back to top Go down
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 6:46 pm

Dman70 wrote:
I had about 4000 on the cam.
Ok, I can't pm you because I don't have enough posts yet. Do you have a number or email I can reach you at?
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 8:53 pm

You are not gonna hear any diff. in the idle with a 6.1 cam and you will loose torque by swapping to the 6.1, however you will pick up a couple ponies at the rear whl..
Back to top Go down
Mightycarlo
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2010, 9:38 pm

Otter- what would you suggest I use then?
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 8:00 am

Talk to some of the supporting vendors, thay will give you some ideas...
Back to top Go down
otter1363
CAMM Pro
otter1363

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 8:07 am

The 6.1 stock cam, Inertia Motorsports's Crazy Jay and Crazy Spartan, FRI's Sidwinder and possibly the comp 260 are some choices that may allow you to run without custom tuning. I run the Spartan on a 114 LSA that performs well and still tows my boat fine. It does need custom tuning. Check out the vendors, they can give you a lot of information. If you decide to do a cam swap, I can help ya out with it.
Back to top Go down
Dman70
CAMM Pro
Dman70

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 8:10 am

I would agree that going with the 6.1 would be the cheapest route but you could do better. If you need to get a hold of me my email is dcolucci@lphs.org I went with the SRT MAX cam from Inertia.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 1:41 pm

Dman70 wrote:
I would agree that going with the 6.1 would be the cheapest route but you could do better. If you need to get a hold of me my email is dcolucci@lphs.org I went with the SRT MAX cam from Inertia.

Dan, did you ever get dyno tuned? CMR?
Back to top Go down
Dman70
CAMM Pro
Dman70

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 7:13 pm

I did get a tune from Stu at inertia, but I will be going for a dyno tune at Mr. Norms when I get the cash together. Right now I am running rich and getting a code on some morning startups.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: has anyone done a cam swap??   has anyone done a cam swap?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

has anyone done a cam swap??
Page 1 of 1