Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway

Go down 
+5
HemiMag
ghost
jontoad
eviltrycycle
AR-15QUEEN
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AR-15QUEEN
CAMM All-Star
AR-15QUEEN

Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway Empty
PostSubject: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 12:43 am

This is an e-mail I recieved today from a few of my friends @ Chitownracing

Dont know if anyone can make this or not. Short notice. I can't make it. No

There will be a meeting on Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 at 6:00PM, held at the Town Hall for the Town of Paris located at 16607 Burlington Rd, Union Grove, WI. This meeting will be in regards to a study of noise and light pollution alleged to eminate from Great Lakes Dragaway. If you can possibly make it to this meeting, we would GREATLY appreciate it! We need as many fans of GLD as possible. We are sorry for the short notice, as the town scheduled this meeting with very little advance notice. Tell EVERYONE you know who is either a racer or a fan of the sport! This is VERY important and we need your support!!
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 12:55 am

Moving to the drag racing area.

No way I can make it either. There is hardly anything around GLD that crazy.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 1:01 am

maybe the farmers can't hear their combines over the car engines. whatever. they want to prevent street racing.... closing the tracks is not the way to do it.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 1:05 am

Nope and this is the type of meeting they had before they started talks about closing Jax raceway back in FL.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 8:42 am

fucking shenanigans for sure!
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 9:54 am

wtf....Seriously!!!!I really hope this just boils over and they don't take our track away!!!
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 12:04 pm

didn't gld just become like some kind of official nhra track or something last season? one would think that would at least make it harder...
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 12:09 pm

Did a little searching this morning, nothing really coming up. The same info is posted on tons of other boards so hopefully they will get a good turn out. Will keep my eyes open for any info and post up.

Thanks again to Chrissy for posting this up in the first place.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 12:21 pm

There isnt shit but corn around GLD. Who the fuck would want it shut down? Some people just need something to bitch about and its getting ridiculous. GLD is a great place to get together and legally race...except for the creepy old guy in the back selling outdated/overpriced merchandise....i mean who wants a racing game on a floppy disk for $20? If they close it down, the people in the area will be bitching about how their family members are killing themselves because of street racing. Some people just need a swift kick in the ass.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 1:08 pm

Excessive carbon emissions. Al Gore says it's making penguins cry.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 1:19 pm

HiPwr wrote:

Al Gore can choke on a dick. He is all about "going green" and saving the earth but I hear the fuckers electric bills come out to more than most people pay for their mortgage each month. Im all about saving the Earth but this global warming is a crock of shit. Obviously he has never lived through a Chicago winter. No warming here.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 1:33 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
HiPwr wrote:

Al Gore can choke on a dick. He is all about "going green" and saving the earth but I hear the fuckers electric bills come out to more than most people pay for their mortgage each month. Im all about saving the Earth but this global warming is a crock of shit. Obviously he has never lived through a Chicago winter. No warming here.

Everybody attending that dumbass Global Warming Conference in Copenhagen can choke on a dick. Have you seen what they are doing? Crazy.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 1:37 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
HiPwr wrote:

not a gore fan but for the size of his house his footprint is not bad at all. that myth was dispelled years ago. most other celebs they checked out were way worse on the enviormental footprint.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 1:39 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:
HiPwr wrote:

Everybody attending that dumbass Global Warming Conference in Copenhagen can choke on a dick. Have you seen what they are doing? Crazy.

No I didnt see what they are doing. Probably something I dont agree with, I can say that with confidence.
Back to top Go down
AR-15QUEEN
CAMM All-Star
AR-15QUEEN

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 3:54 pm

I'm not sure whats happening yet. People these days like to bitch about everything.

Just like the people who bought homes around and near RT 66 knew it was a track when they bought the homes....then they start bitching.

Anyway...if I hear anything I'll keep everyone updated
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2009, 6:53 pm

Follow up:

As a followup to the town meeting held on December 15th, in regard to noise and light pollution alleged to emanate from Great Lakes Dragaway, first of all, we would like to thank everyone for the show of support. Many of you showed up on VERY short notice to attend this meeting, many more wrote letters of support. There will be a followup meeting in January.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FROM THE KENOSHA NEWS:

Study finds Paris drag strip’s noise level isn’t very loud
BY DENEEN SMITH
dsmith@kenoshanews.com

PARIS — A sound study shows that noise levels near the Great Lakes Dragaway on race days are only slightly louder than the sound of normal conversation.

That’s according to engineering firm Bonestroo, a Mequon company hired to study sound pollution in the town and recommend possible ordinances to address sound and light pollution.

Results of the study were revealed during a special Town Board meeting Tuesday night, attended by about 100 people, most of them drag racing fans.

The Town Board called for the study after a series of contentious meetings involving Great Lakes Dragaway, with some residents near the race track complaining about noise levels on racing days.

Bonestroo set sound monitors in Paris during two weekends in September, measuring sound levels in 15-minute increments over six days. The monitors were placed on properties near Great Lakes, near Pheasant Run landfill, the We Energies power plant and near the Kenosha Beef factory.

Richard Osa of Bonestroo said the sound study, conducted during two weekends when there was racing at Great Lakes, showed sound levels peaked off the drag strip at about 70 decibels A-scale.

As a comparison, he said, the sound level of normal conversation is about 65 decibels, while 140 decibels is a sound loud enough to cause hearing damage.

Osa said municipal ordinances typically limit daytime residential sound levels at about 65 decibels, with nighttime levels at about 50 decibels.

Dan Feldt of Bonestroo said that while the study measured sound, what people consider a nuisance noise is more subjective.

“I know that for a number of the people here the sound at the drag strip is not noise, it’s entertainment,” Feldt said. “What we did here is monitor sound; how it is perceived by people is going to be a matter of perspective.”

People in the audience questioned the study and the town’s intent to create a noise ordinance.

“My concern is, and probably the concern of everyone in this room, is that you are going to draft this ordinance trying to target Great Lakes drag strip,” said a man who described himself as a professional drag racer from Bristol.

He suggested the board instead limit residential building near the race track.

The board voted to have the town’s attorney work with Bonestroo to create draft ordinances to govern sound and light pollution, with the draft ordinance presented at the January meeting.

The board has set a Jan. 15 deadline for written comments at the town hall.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2009, 7:52 pm

man what a freaking joke! they don't have anything better to fucking do?! i wouldn't speed down that rural route on the way to the strip entrance anymore!
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2009, 8:02 pm

Exactly what I was thinking.....
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2009, 7:11 pm

About 30 of us blow through Paris with the bobs blastin.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2009, 7:28 pm

You buy me Bobs and I will be there. Smile
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2009, 8:33 pm

Too bad that this seems like it's gonna be limited somehow in the future. I think the best thing to do would be to limit residential building around the area. I mean, really, there is NOTHING much out there now anyways.

I have been going there for so long it would be a shame for it to be regulated to death, literally.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2010, 10:35 pm

About the Sound Study

We would like to let everyone know that the GLD owners & staff are aware of the many questions about the recent sound study and the future outcome of the track, and have seen how large the support from not only our racers & fans, but the entire drag racing community as a whole is! Currently, there is not much to say, other than a huge thanks to everyone who is supporting us, and that we continue to work with the Town of Paris to come to a resolution that works for everybody on both sides of the issue. Your efforts are not going unnoticed.

As of January 11th, there is still no set date for when the next town meeting will be addressing the sound study issue. As soon as there is more to say, we will post it here online, as well as send out our email newsletter. Speaking of which, have you signed up for the newsletter? Our newsletter is the best way to stay up to date on information from GLD!

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001PhdQ1BjzXNRgKtIczwPhQA%3D%3D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway   Meeting  in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meeting in regards to Great Lakes Dragaway
Page 1 of 1