Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Needing new brakes

Go down 
+10
Dartboy
Shawn1112
xegitalian19xx
Illinois Chaos
jontoad
DCSpecial
HiPwr
crazy933
irishrt5.7
Iguanaman
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Needing new brakes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:04 am

So does anyone work in a shop where we can do this? Want to get done asap so probably can't wait for the next mod day.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:23 am

Adam was the only one that had weekend access to a shop. But that changed when he switched jobs. I have jack stands as well & a floor jack that I could muscle into the trunk. I haven't done brakes personally since the mid-80s & those were drums, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Here's a couple of write-ups from LXF:
Rotors & Pads
Pads Only
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:35 am

Brakes are simple on our cars. You could hammer it out in a garage in probably 2hrs, with someone who has done them before. I would offer my place for a mod night, but I still have some things to get done around the house. My wife would kill me if I start working on cars, and not finishing up all my winter projects that were put on hold while we worked on my car for 7 weeks.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 4:54 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
HemiMag24s wrote:
brakes aren't hard Dave,i'm sure we all can lend a hand.I have two jack stands for starters.....

I know they're not SUPPOSED to be, just read my blog link a couple of posts North. A funny read now, if nothing else.

I'm just coming from a family history where nobody did their own work on cars...hell, my dad used to trade in the car when the ashtray was full. So I didn't learn when I was young.

LOL! My dad was like that too. I think all he was good for was taking out the trash and changing light bulbs. So said my mom. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 4:44 pm

WOW. THAT was interesting.

Just had Adam install my new brakes. Finally found a road to bed them in on, about an hour later. I did it SO well, I had SMOKING coming from the front brakes after the 7th or 8th 60-10 stop (a GOOD amount of smoke). That was crazy. Strong brake smell too. But, from what I hear, that's normal.

MANY thanks, Adam! I really appreciate the help on your off day!
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 8:43 pm

Hey not a problem at all man!! Glad to have helped ya out!! And thatnks for the Wildfire burger afterwards!! LOL
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:26 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:
Hey not a problem at all man!! Glad to have helped ya out!! And thatnks for the Wildfire burger afterwards!! LOL

damn dude. wildfire? shit is expensive. i think i paid 36 bux for a prime rib and 13 bux per jack stone sour there once. lol.

Last edited by jontoad on April 25th 2010, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 9:43 pm

jontoad wrote:
Moparcharger06 wrote:

damn dude. wildfire? shit is expensive. i think i paid 36 bux for a prime rib and 13 bux per jack stone sour their once. lol.

No lie but they have great food there. I used to take my ex there all the time. It was like $150 each time but I got my money worth when we got home Needing new brakes - Page 2 962857 Needing new brakes - Page 2 89691 Needing new brakes - Page 2 946655 Needing new brakes - Page 2 46810 Needing new brakes - Page 2 389105
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2010, 10:02 pm

Not Wildfire...WOODfire. I don't have THAT much cash.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 6:47 am

Iguanaman wrote:

Just had Adam install my new brakes. Finally found a road to bed them in on, about an hour later. I did it SO well, I had SMOKING coming from the front brakes after the 7th or 8th 60-10 stop (a GOOD amount of smoke). That was crazy. Strong brake smell too. But, from what I hear, that's normal.

How did you bed them??? I never did that and I'm having a squeking noise and someone said I should bed them.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 7:33 am

Shawn1112 wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:

How did you bed them??? I never did that and I'm having a squeking noise and someone said I should bed them.

I found an empty farm road near my house. In a straight line, I did 10 braking cycles going 60-10, braking hard right up to engaging the ABS (but NOT hard enough to engage it). Don't come to a complete stop, and do this in rapid succession (which is why a long, straight, empty road is ideal).

Right after that, find an open expanse of road to drive on, braking as little as possible (and NOT coming to a complete stop) at highway speeds. This lets the brakes cool down. Do this for at least 5 minutes and don't put it away with the brakes hot...you're more likely to get pad material transfer in one spot, resulting in hotspotting.

Mine squeak a little when I first apply them and the brakes are warm, but not bad.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:43 pm

Oh yeah, ha ha ha ha , I always fuck up and say that, still kinda new to me. LoL
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:59 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:

I found an empty farm road near my house. In a straight line, I did 10 braking cycles going 60-10, braking hard right up to engaging the ABS (but NOT hard enough to engage it). Don't come to a complete stop, and do this in rapid succession (which is why a long, straight, empty road is ideal).

Right after that, find an open expanse of road to drive on, braking as little as possible (and NOT coming to a complete stop) at highway speeds. This lets the brakes cool down. Do this for at least 5 minutes and don't put it away with the brakes hot...you're more likely to get pad material transfer in one spot, resulting in hotspotting.

Mine squeak a little when I first apply them and the brakes are warm, but not bad.
Thanks I will give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 9:03 pm

I gotta find a road near my house that I can do that on. I usually do it on streets around my house but I have to keep driving around the block.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 9:04 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:

Here, Shawn: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 9:36 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
I gotta find a road near my house that I can do that on. I usually do it on streets around my house but I have to keep driving around the block.

Just make it a field trip out to my house, Joey. I'll go with you and we can get video of your brakes smokin!

Here's where I bedded mine in...talk about a long expanse of nothin:

Needing new brakes - Page 2 Brake-BedIn-Road
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 9:48 pm

Lol damn. I did bed my brakes in a little when I first put them on (in the fall). I basically did about 4 60-10 runs but there was too much traffic so I stopped. Is it too late to bed them all the way?
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 10:36 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Lol damn. I did bed my brakes in a little when I first put them on (in the fall). I basically did about 4 60-10 runs but there was too much traffic so I stopped. Is it too late to bed them all the way?

I THINK you can redo it, but sounds like it's been a while. If you do new pads, though, and machine the rotors, I'd guess yes you can.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 10:40 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:

I THINK you can redo it, but sounds like it's been a while. If you do new pads, though, and machine the rotors, I'd guess yes you can.

I got drilled and slotted rotors and I think I heard somewhere that I can NOT resurface drilled and slotted rotors. I hope I am wrong though.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 10:48 pm

They MIGHT be cut-able, BUT if they're worn down a little, machining them MIGHT just cut out the sluts, I mean slots LoL
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2010, 6:45 am

Iguanaman wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

Nice write up, I will give it a shot this weekend hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2010, 7:30 am

Shawn1112 wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

Nice write up, I will give it a shot this weekend hopefully.

Look for the smoke, dude.

Smoke means you got it goin'.

Smoke also means...your waffle is ready.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2010, 7:51 am

Mine didn't smoke so you could see it, but I could smell it.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2010, 7:56 am

HiPwr wrote:
Mine didn't smoke so you could see it, but I could smell it.

Yeah, kind of freaked me out for a second.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Needing new brakes   Needing new brakes - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Needing new brakes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2