Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Squeaky brakes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MattPhillips
CAMM Rookie
MattPhillips

Squeaky brakes Empty
PostSubject: Squeaky brakes   Squeaky brakes I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 10:20 am

Hello everyone! I haven't been on here in ages because they were working me like a dog at AT&T, which needless to say, I quit and found an alarm programming job that I like a lot better.

Anyways, I had my brakes replaced last year. Both my rotors and pads. Stock brakes started squeaking at about 22,000 miles so I took it to NTB and they assured me it was the rotors that were warped. Got them replaced, about 500 miles in the squeak once again came back. I then ended up getting the pads replaced with Wagner Thermo-quiets at another shop. Squeak was gone for another 500-750 miles then once again came back again. It is very irritating having such a nice vehicle that I take care of sound like an old bus when it's coming to a stop! What could be going on here? Any recommendations? I'm totally clueless now!
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Squeaky brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squeaky brakes   Squeaky brakes I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 11:16 am

that is hard to diagnose if it has happened on multiple pads and rotors.

it might just be un related squeaks. some pads take a long time to bed in. i am not familiar with Wagner thermo-quiets so i am not sure. when i had EBC red pads it took me 2000 miles for the squeals to go away, and i mean nasty loud train stopping squeal. i toughed it out and they were great after that.

when i switched to EBC yellows i haven't had any noise issues for the most part.

Last edited by jontoad on March 19th 2013, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MattPhillips
CAMM Rookie
MattPhillips

Squeaky brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squeaky brakes   Squeaky brakes I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 11:26 am

I read a ton of reviews online on the Wagner's before I bought them and everyone said they were very quiet, with no squeak. That's what I get is the nasty train stopping squeal. I only get it when I don't put much pressure on the brake pedal. When I push down a bit harder it stops. The other thing is I really haven't had the chance to properly "bed in" the brakes. Some shops told me it is a must and others said it isn't.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Squeaky brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squeaky brakes   Squeaky brakes I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 12:56 pm

Like Jon said, its hard to tell why they are squeaking. Ive fixed some squeaks before by using some of that "disk brake quiet" paste stuff they sell at the parts store. You put some on the back sides of each pad and that helps them to not rattle around causing squeaks. Another thing would be to check the little slots the pads rest in on the brackets, sometimes the metal shims in there get stretched out and the pads fit too loosely. None of these are a guaranteed fix but can help if thats whats in fact causing the squeak.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

Squeaky brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squeaky brakes   Squeaky brakes I_icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2013, 8:01 pm

I had the thermoquiets on the fron of my old charger, I liked them, I had a problem with them squeaking on the first set. I took them off and returned them for some new ones. (Really good with the guys that work there). But what I did different the second time, was put them on with no lube on the rear pad, and none where the caliper touches the pad.

At work we usually lube the back of the pads, per the Adaptive One class we had for brakes. But I guess on the Thermoquiets that shouldnt be done. I dont really see why, but for some reason it worked. And it was the first question the guy at the auto parts store asked.

Back to top Go down
Yuro
CAMM Pro
Yuro

Squeaky brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squeaky brakes   Squeaky brakes I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2013, 4:43 pm

Bed in the brakes. Might be dust build up. While driving get the brakes warmed up , go to a long stretch of empty road, speed up to about 50, press brakes firmly to 30, speed back up brake firmly to 30, once more, and drive off giving the brakes time to cool(never sit on your brakes thruought this process as if you sit there the hot brakes can warp the rotorz). Also, since our rotors come pretty thin from factory, ive learned to put it in neutral at stops or stop well beforehand and give yourself some time to roll forward to cool brakes some before resting the pads on the rotors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Squeaky brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squeaky brakes   Squeaky brakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Squeaky brakes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Wheels and Suspension-
Jump to: