Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Plastic bumper prep for paint..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

Plastic bumper prep for paint.. Empty
PostSubject: Plastic bumper prep for paint..   Plastic bumper prep for paint.. I_icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2011, 9:52 am

I was looking to attack this over the winter months and prep the extra stuff I want painted myself. It really doesn't seem all that difficult just time consuming. I have enough time in front of me just wondering has anyone on here prepped anything plastic before?

These are the instructions im going with.
Code:
1. Remove the bumper from the car if possible. Use a ratchet and socket to remove all bolts and nuts from the bumper and use a Phillips screwdriver to remove screws from the sides of the bumper. Place the bumper on a stand or use a thin wire to hang the bumper by the bolt-holes on each side. Ensure the rafter used to hang the bumper is sturdy and won't fall during the preparation.

2. Sand the bumper using 120-grit sandpaper. Hold the sandpaper flat against the surface and sand evenly until the bumper is dull and no longer shiny.

3. Use plastic surface cleaner to scrub the plastic bumper. Use a microfiber towel to reduce the amount of lint that gets onto the surface. Rinse the area and allow it to dry completely.

4.  Wipe prep solvent over the plastic bumper using a clean microfiber cloth. Wipe the solvent in one direction so dirt particles aren't wiped back onto the clean surface. The solvent does not need to be rinsed or cleaned off.

5.  Sand the plastic bumper with 400-grit sandpaper and water, keeping the sandpaper soaking wet while sanding. Sand evenly so that the bumper is very smooth and dull. Rinse the bumper and allow it to dry completely. Wipe the plastic bumper once more with a tack rag to pick up any remaining dust or dirt particles. It is now ready for paint.

Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Plastic bumper prep for paint..   Plastic bumper prep for paint.. I_icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2011, 3:07 pm

No mention of platic primer or platsic adhesive??? I have never had luck painting plastic, so I just have my painter do it for me now. There are others on here that have done it and done it well. Are you going to spray paint your bumper???
Back to top Go down
Hypnotiq
CAMM All-Star
Hypnotiq

PostSubject: Re: Plastic bumper prep for paint..   Plastic bumper prep for paint.. I_icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2011, 3:20 pm

no bro.. just prep.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Plastic bumper prep for paint..   Plastic bumper prep for paint.. I_icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2011, 6:26 pm

I see, good luck
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Plastic bumper prep for paint..   Plastic bumper prep for paint.. I_icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2011, 7:25 pm

Yeah that looks to be about right just for prep, I guess just take you're time, and go easy on it, till you get the "hang of it" ya know man?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastic bumper prep for paint..   Plastic bumper prep for paint.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plastic bumper prep for paint..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Exterior-
Jump to: