Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

straight pipes

Go down 
+5
Shawn1112
Illinois Chaos
inkedup
jontoad
08 RT
9 posters
AuthorMessage
08 RT
CAMM Rookie
08 RT

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2011, 8:43 pm

Does anybody know the pros and cons to straight pipes versus an exhaust system? Thanks!!!!
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2011, 8:45 pm

just get cutouts and you can have both.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2011, 8:47 pm

i got my catback stainless $800 installed
Back to top Go down
08 RT
CAMM Rookie
08 RT

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2011, 8:50 pm

i was going to go with flowmaster or magnaflow but there a little expensive. I looked into straight pipes and installed for 200.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2011, 8:52 pm

get the cutouts at least you dont want to run staights 24/7
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2011, 8:55 pm

Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2011, 6:52 am

Problem with cutouts is they always fail. I went with catless midpipes. Will see what that turns out like.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2011, 7:42 am

08 RT wrote:
i was going to go with flowmaster or magnaflow but there a little expensive. I looked into straight pipes and installed for 200.
Straight pipes will be loud to the point where you will probably get a ticket, also I dont think you will pass emissions.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2011, 12:17 pm

U can get ur suitcase muffler replaced with 2 flowmasters for about $250 installed. It will sound much better than stock and will cost u way less than a full catback system.
Back to top Go down
Motor
CAMM Pro
Motor

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2011, 2:03 pm

if u go balls out straight pipes - no mufllers, no cats, you will lose too much back pressure and with a stock engine you'd end up losing power.

Replace stock suitcase with some aftermarket mufflers, delete resonators, change your midpipes to hi flow's (catless will be hard to pass emissions - not undoable, but hard) you can also change headers for shorties or long tubes and then get the mids to fit...otherwise you can just replace mufflers and kill the resonators.
Back to top Go down
08 RT
CAMM Rookie
08 RT

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2011, 10:20 pm

what if i just change the mufflers? any suggestions to a brand? thanks everyone!!
Back to top Go down
moros323
CAMM Pro
moros323

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2011, 3:26 am

I know of a place where you can get the Magnaflow hf cats and the Magnaflow catback system delivered to your door for $1030 then about $200 to get them installed. I did it and never looked back...just had to buy bigdaddies spacers for the front o2 sensors like $28 from http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/straight-cel-fix.html my car sounds like a Hemi now!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2011, 5:25 am

08 RT wrote:
what if i just change the mufflers? any suggestions to a brand? thanks everyone!!

See LilJoes post
Back to top Go down
94cruiser
CAMM Member

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2011, 10:19 pm

When I was partying out my 5.7L 350cid LT1 Chevy I fired it up with just the exhaust manifolds on it.
initial startup you can hear everything: intake and exhaust.
Initial explosions sound scarry loud and iddle sounds like a pure scarry muscle car racer but given some gas and it sounds like crap.

In Elmwood Park there was a cop who had a '96 LT1 retired car that was all straight pipes and he started it up for me. It was late at night and he only revved it for a moment.

IMHO straight pipes need something done to the motor to sound good. A little lope in the cam to make it sound good.
Now the Flowmaster mufflers sounded good on a GM LT1 and Dynomax on a GM TBI I had.

IMHO the Hemi needs a Magnaflow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

straight pipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: straight pipes   straight pipes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

straight pipes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Exhaust-
Jump to: