Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2012 Charger SRT

Go down 
+4
Shawn1112
irishrt5.7
vagrant
Xenon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Xenon
CAMM Member
Xenon

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 3:33 pm

So here is the new Charger SRT....
Is it a large mouth bass or is it about to give a hummer of a blowjob...
Guess if one can get past the grille it isn't too bad..

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110714/CARREVIEWS/110719924?utm_source=http://www.autoweek.com/?utm_source=DailyDrive20110715&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedimage1&utm_content=20110714-2012_Dodge_Charger_SRT8,_an_AutoWeek_Flash_Drive_Car_Review&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
On Sale: Third quarter 2011
Base Price: $48,000 (est)
Drivetrain: 6.4-liter 470-hp, 470 lb-ft V8; five-speed automatic
Curb Weight: 4,365 lb
0-60 mph: 4.8 sec (est)
Fuel Economy (EPA): 16 mpg (est)

Ralph Gilles, SRT brand president and CEO, calls the Dodge Charger SRT8 the extrovert of the 2012 SRT8 class--and with good reason. The aggressive SRT exterior treatment includes a gloss black grille, sculpted hood with black air exhauster, rear spoiler and dual four-inch exhaust tips make the car look menacing.

But with any SRT vehicles, it begins with the engine. A new 6.4-liter Hemi V8 powers the menacing sedan, replacing the previous 6.1-liter Hemi V8. With a total of 470-hp and 470 lb-ft of torque on tap, it provides and additional 45 hp and 50 lb-ft of torque over the old powerplant. Power is up, but fuel efficiency also improves with a new active valve exhaust system (as found all 2012 SRT8 models) to allow the Hemi to operate in four-cylinder mode over a wider rpm range. Bolted to the V8 is the tried and true five-speed automatic with manual shift function.

On the suspension front, 2012 marks the additional of a new adaptive damping suspension offering two modes: auto and sport. Auto monitors speed, steering angle, brake torque, throttle and acceleration and adjusts damping accordingly, while sport locks in a stiffer, track-ready setup.

SRT partner, Brembo, provides four-pot brakes at all corners, with the entire package riding on 20-inch, split five-spoke forged wheels with black painted pockets.

Touches in the cabin included the leather-wrapped, flat-bottom SRT steering wheel with paddle shifters, aluminum interior trim and heavily bolstered SRT front bucket seats. An updated Performance Pages readout can be seen on the standard 8.4-inch color touchscreen, which has been upgraded to include steering angle, horsepower and torque outputs and various gauges.

What is it like to drive?

While the Charger SRT8's suspension tuning isn't as aggressive as the Challenger's, it still helped the Charger blaze around California's Willow Springs Raceway with little trouble. In corners, the car stays natural and easily sticks to your desired line and is never a handful. As in the 300 SRT8, with sport mode engaged, the traction aids allow for a good amount of slip before cutting in to kill the party. There's very little roll to speak of in turns, and the Hemi V8 brings plenty of power. Upshifts from the five-speed autobox were quick while using the paddles, but again, the transmission suffers from harsh downshifts without rev matching capabilities. Steering weight is also on the light side. As expected, the Brembo brakes were up to task, easily slowed things down and were good throughout the hot day.

On the road, the Charger SRT8 is quiet and rolls down the ride comfortably. Even in sport mode, the suspension isn't overly harsh with only bigger road hazards able to jolt occupants. In auto, it's even more comfortable.

Do I want it?

If you like standout styling and horsepower (and who doesn't?) then yes, the Charger should be your SRT8 of choice. The variable damping suspension opens the SRT8 vehicles up to a broader audience, while keeping the hardcore enthusiast happy. The new Hemi V8 still sounds the part under wide-open throttle, but is quiet and docile when you're idling around town.

Now if SRT figures out a way to add rev matching to the transmission and tune in a little more weight into the steering, it would really have a winner on its hands.

Back to top Go down
vagrant
CAMM Member
vagrant

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 6:05 pm

Hrm...not that I wouldn't take it in a second if it was torred...but I gotta agree..that's one hell of a mouth on that sucker. Reminds me of the latest evo design for better or worse...

-vagrant
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 7:16 pm

Im sorry but that has evo written all over it... i hate it...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 9:01 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
Im sorry but that has evo written all over it... i hate it...
I agree 100%, I dont hate it though
Back to top Go down
JacksSRT8
CAMM Pro
JacksSRT8

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 9:17 pm

not a fan like i said, looks like a catfish mouth....they definetly could have done a better job..... really bummed
Back to top Go down
vagrant
CAMM Member
vagrant

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2011, 10:01 pm

Can you imagine cleaning the bugs outta that grill after a road trip?

-vagrant
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2011, 6:20 am

Just no......
Back to top Go down
ttruckinon
CAMM Pro
ttruckinon

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2011, 9:25 am

The bumper portion of the front needs to be color matched then it would look pretty good. I'm waiting to see what they do with the Super Bee.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2011, 9:38 am

If that front end is going to have any hope, it will be because grip or dankoreproductions gets a hold of it.

Auto design FAIL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2012 Charger SRT Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2012 Charger SRT   2012 Charger SRT I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2012 Charger SRT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: Knowledge Base :: Mopar News-
Jump to: