Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shorty headers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
stairman
CAMM Pro
stairman

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2011, 8:42 pm

I got a set of shorty headers and installed them yesterday. 14 hours later i finished Suspect

Question: I used the header gasket that came in the box, now I'm getting a "burning rubber" type of smell after it warms up. Should I have used the OEM gasket i took off. Does anyone think this smell will go away after break-in. Should the gasket they sent me have been aluminum covered? I looked everywhere for an answer and can't find one. I think I read on here in a post that Shawn said NOT to use aftermarket header gaskets, but i couldn't find it. So I am unsure. This was a pain in the ass to do, but if I need to re-do it I will. Any input would be helpful to me and to anyone else in the future wanting to tackle this type of project.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2011, 9:47 pm

Congrats on the install. You should have asked here first, yes you should have bought new oem gaskets. The smell might go away, but those aftemarket gaskets are garbage.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2011, 9:52 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Congrats on the install. You should have asked here first, yes you should have bought new oem gaskets. The smell might go away, but those aftemarket gaskets are garbage.

What he said. OEM are the way to go as far as the gaskets go. The ones that came with the headers will leak very soon. I think the OEM ones are copper but either way they should not be rubber.
Back to top Go down
stairman
CAMM Pro
stairman

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2011, 10:16 pm

OK, Thanks a million guys. I will start the re-tear down tomorrow. It should go alot faster now that i know what to expect. By the way- it's a bitch and time consuming ..but the deeper growl is worth it.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2011, 12:39 am

Congrats on the install & hope it's easy to re-do everything
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2011, 7:59 am

Hey Jeff when can we do mine now that you got the install down
Back to top Go down
stairman
CAMM Pro
stairman

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2011, 10:12 pm

HemiMag wrote:
Congrats on the install & hope it's easy to re-do everything

Thanks Ivan, the 2nd time around was alot easier...Got my time down to 6 hours ...LOL

jesse031081 wrote:
Hey Jeff when can we do mine now that you got the install down

My garage will be available right after I get done with Davids' tie rods. PM me when you want to do this.... i'm thinking I can get down to 4 1/2 hours Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shorty headers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shorty headers   Shorty headers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shorty headers
Page 1 of 1