Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeRegisterLog in

Greetings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 7:23 pm

Hi all,

I just joined this forum today saw it in someone's sig over at ChargerForums.

From just reading a few posts I think I'm going to like it here Smile

I bought my 2006 Charger R/T with the Road and Track group after my 2003 PT GT started to bite the dust in April. Was very glad to find a low mileage car with the Road and Track group in a short time frame. I've liked the LX cars since they came out and have always been a Mopar guy I guess it runs in the family. Growing up we had a Horizon, Shadow, Intrepid and three Caravans and the 03 PT GT started life as my mom's car I eventually bought it from her.

I was so glad Dodge had a RWD V8 big sedan after having a 96 Impala SS for a few years this really brings me back to those fond memories.

My car is Silver Steel with black powder coated rims. Other than that pretty stock for now, I put in a K&N drop in filter and today just replaced all the stock crappy lug nuts (I'm sure most LX owners know how the stock two piece lugs often fail).

I'd love to continue the black out theme with a Daytona grille and chin spoiler... on the fence about blacking out the trunk but I'd like to get the Daytona R/T badges that came on later model Road and Track cars.

I wish my Charger was a low mile weekend toy but I commute from Naperville to Chicago 5 days a week and have already put on almost 5k miles since April.

Look forward to contributing where I can and maybe meeting some of the folks if I can make any of the events!

Greetings Right_10
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 7:48 pm

Welcome to CAMM Mike, thanks for signing up. Great looking car. Check out the calendar, next weekend we are hitting events both days so hopefully you can make one or both!

You Tube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/ChicagolandAreaModernMopars

Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 8:44 pm

Welcome to CAMM!! Glad you checked us out. Hope to meet you soon.

2006 Charger Daytona R/T Go•Man•Go  #3918/4000
2009 Challenger R/T
Greetings Teamheadtripp
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 8:46 pm

Welcome from a Naperville. Car looks clean. Did you do the wheels yourself? Is it plastidip, paint, or powder?

SRT MAX Plus cam, Dominator stall torque converter, AMG blue top shift solenoids, Wavetrack LSD, richmond 3.55 gears, Tein Superstreet coilovers, stack 'chubby'' sway bars, ect...
Autocross videos - (((((SRT8 Charger autocross lap.)))))  -  (((((Edited movie.)))))  -  (((((Helmet cam lap.)))))
Back to top Go down
VIKES4093
CAMM Pro
VIKES4093

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 9:32 pm

welcome from bartlett
Back to top Go down
Xenon
CAMM Member
Xenon

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 9:33 pm

Welcome to da funny farm......

There a a few peeps here in the naper / Plainfield area... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 9:37 pm

Welcome to the CAMM, Mike.
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 10:05 pm

jontoad wrote:
Welcome from a Naperville. Car looks clean. Did you do the wheels yourself? Is it plastidip, paint, or powder?

They're powder coated and I didn't do it myself. I found the car up at Fields Chrysler they had them powder coated because apparently one of the wheels was a stock R/T while the other three had the correct black pocketed rims of the Road and Track Performance package. At least that is what Fields told me. I noticed from the pics they posted about half of them the wheels were black the other half not so I asked them prior to driving out to look at it.

The car is really only faux clean I feel like the detail shop the dealer used just waxed over grit. We've got a new baby in the house I don't really have the time to clay bar it and polish it and wax it like I used to do for the Impala. I've had the car since April and haven't hand washed it yet, only touchless automatic and manual washes so far.

I'm thinking about plastidip on the grille I don't suppose anyone has a Daytona grille they want to swap for the Chromie? I called CarMax in Naperville they're selling an 06 R/T that has a Daytona grille I told them I'd pay them $50 to swap grilles... they weren't buying it!
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 11:40 pm

welcome from channahon......
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2011, 11:41 pm

and take off the side moldings mister..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 3rd 2011, 5:06 am

Welcome! Love the rims... thumbsup
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 3rd 2011, 6:11 am

inkedup wrote:

Thanks for the advice! It wasn't high on the priority list for me but I do plan on pulling those off. I took off the rear goat head plus the "Charger" lettering. I plan on pulling off the "R/T" and painting black or getting the Road and Track style "R/T" and painting that one black maybe leaving the chrome outline since my wheel have a touch of chrome with the lugs/center caps.

See emblem delete:

Greetings Rear_e10
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 4th 2011, 1:10 pm

inkedup wrote:

I currently have my side moldings deleted on the driver's side as of a half hour ago! Thanks a lot inkedup, I'm going to blame your teasing.

I made the mistake of asking permission to use my wife's hairdryer instead of just taking it so that left a ton of the 3m tape on the body. WD-40 and Goo Gone and tons of elbow grease and I only got the driver's side done and it took about 2 hours.

I hate doing things half assed part of my reservation about getting "my charger" as my wife puts it, was the frustration of not having enough time to have it looking the way I want. I could have gotten a gutless commuter car that gets 30 miles a gallon since I put on 70+ per day but my wife said "go ahead and get your charger" who can argue with that?!

There's still a bit of film that the goo gone won't take off, I need to either clay or lightly polish and of course there is no wax there anymore...

My car is a rolling "before" and "after" on the side molding delete!

I'm going to try to make it to next Saturday's event in West Chicago if nothing else I'd have time to get rid of that tape residue!

I must say it does look much cleaner and will be much easier to wash/dry (I'd say polish/wax but that's just dreaming). I need my baby boy to get bigger so he can be "daddy's helper" and I get more garage time!
Back to top Go down
Bulldog
CAMM Pro
Bulldog

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2011, 12:17 am

Welcome...And the kids do make great helpers...
Greetings TobyHelper
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2011, 8:24 am

Glad you got the side molding off, well one at least. I didn't have to use anything to get mine to loosen up just sat in the hot sun a few hours and a little pull and off the came. I noticed the residue on mine was there even after goo gone and washing. Clay bar seemed to help the most.

I did the half mod too when we put my rocker stripes on, the pass side didn't want to line up so I had to wait a week after the drivers side was put on to get it into the shop.

GL with getting the other side done. Smile

You Tube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/ChicagolandAreaModernMopars

Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2011, 10:22 am

Hey M great havin ya here...

as you may notice I have the silver steel also... lots of mods...
but have the grill and front lip also they way you were talkin...

if you need a hand with em my garage is always open! ...im not to far away, Joliet!
(done about 10 grills now and 6 front lips for people!)

congrats on the lil one...mine just hit 3 himself...

I am also doing the silver and black theme on mine...

anyhow..great havin you here... yell if you have questions or need a hand!
Back to top Go down
vagrant
CAMM Member
vagrant

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2011, 9:22 pm

Nice lookin ride Very Happy

-vagrant
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2011, 9:37 pm

bigm blame me thats fine wait until you get the final results .....after you get all the glue off for the next few washes you'll still get that residue where the molding was thats normal
Back to top Go down
Johnny Bondo
CAMM Member
Johnny Bondo

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2011, 9:50 pm

Nice Ride!

Welcome to CAMM!
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2011, 9:52 pm

and taking my moldings off only took me 15 minute's
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2011, 1:22 am

Bulldog wrote:
Welcome...And the kids do make great helpers...
Greetings TobyHelper

Awww how cute! He sure looks like he's having fun! Smile
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2011, 4:00 pm

Dartboy wrote:
Hey M great havin ya here...

as you may notice I have the silver steel also... lots of mods...
but have the grill and front lip also they way you were talkin...

if you need a hand with em my garage is always open! ...im not to far away, Joliet!
(done about 10 grills now and 6 front lips for people!)

congrats on the lil one...mine just hit 3 himself...

I am also doing the silver and black theme on mine...

anyhow..great havin you here... yell if you have questions or need a hand!

Thanks Chris,

I got your PM too but I can't reply yet (post count).

Are you going to be at Augustino's Saturday? I'd love to check your your Silver Steel Steed and barring illness (or family illness) I'll be there Smile It will be nice to see how the black grille looks in person before I tackle that. Did you order the Daytona assembly or did you paint or PD your grille? I took a look at the grille the other day and think I can reach the dreaded left and right screws, I've got the long lean arms to get to them. I put my arm in up to the elbow and was able to touch the screw head.

I already ordered the Mopar OE chin spoiler that came on the Daytonas and the '07 and up Road and Track package cars. What do you recommend for the install the provided rivets or some vinyl nuts/bolts? I've read how some folks put them on with vinyl nuts and bolts using vinyl and neoprene washers. I don't have a rivet gun so I guess I'm leaning that direction.

I'm on the fence about putting a Daytona style rear blackout decal on. Trying to ease into mods slowly for two reasons number 1 I don't have a ton of time to be messing with my car between work and family commitments and number 2 I didn't expect to have second car note this soon (my PT GT was paid off before she died an untimely death).

Thanks for the tips you sent via PM I might indeed enlist your assistance in the future!

Mike
Back to top Go down
BigM
CAMM Pro
BigM

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 5:24 pm

inkedup wrote:
and taking my moldings off only took me 15 minute's

I managed to get the other side off it was much easier. Makes me think it wasn't factory. My driver's side was on with one large piece of 3m tape but the passenger side had two skinny pieces with a gap in the middle. The Passenger side came off really easy.

Clay bar didn't do anything for the residue but a can of 3m adhesive remover did the trick on the passenger side. I can't remember which CAMM guy told me that at Augustino's.... it was a Challenger guy Smile

I had to use some Scratch X 2.0 on the passenger side it came off clearn but left a noticeable line after the adhesive was all gone.

Well bottom line is yeah you are right it looks great so much cleaner and so much easier to dry via the California water blade I use. I'm growing more fond of Silver Steel every day!

I also managed to install the Daytona style front chin spoiler. I'll have to post a couple of pics. I used nylon bolts vs. the supplied rivets and it came out nice.

If I had to do it over I'd have installed it with a bit more reveal to the top edge (lower) but that is just me being picky.

I still need that Daytona grille Smile My wife thinks I'm nuts, she hurt my feelings yesterday when she told me she didn't realize I'd spend time and money on my "commuter" car!

Back to top Go down
sak9880
CAMM Member
sak9880

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2011, 8:22 pm

Welcome to the CAMM!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greetings   Greetings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: CAMM General Discussion :: New Member Introductions-
Jump to: