Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeRegisterLog in

Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do Empty
PostSubject: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2010, 7:46 pm

Dragstrip Etiquette
Don?t start your burnout until directed by an official. He?ll usually give you some sort of hand signal. Also make sure you are all the way on the track and facing directly forwards.
Don?t do burnouts in the water, period. Don?t do burnouts with treaded street tires. Water gets into the treads and tracks all the way to the starting line. This makes the drivers with slicks very angry. Heating up a street tire is useless because of the hard rubber that street tires are made of. It won’t help your 1/4 mile times.
Don?t do a John Force-style burnout (i.e. spinning the tires through and past the starting line, forcing you to back up) unless you don?t have any front brakes and/or you are John Force.
If you are bracket racing, don?t lock up your brakes at the end of the track in an attempt to not "break out". Locking ?them up at this speed could be very dangerous. This isn?t an issue for test-n-tune nights, but be sure you leave plenty of room to brake at the end of the track without doing a massive ABS stop.
Some tracks employ a courtesy rule. This means that the first car into the staging beams should light only the pre-stage light. When the second car is pre-staged, then either of you can move up slightly into the staging lights.
Make sure your numbers and dial-in (if applicable) are visible from the tower.
Make sure you get in the right staging lane, and make sure that you don?t attempt to run in a class where your car would not be appropriate (e.g. you probably shouldn?t end up racing a junior dragster in your Impala). Ask if you are unsure.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2010, 8:59 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
but be sure you leave plenty of room to brake at the end of the track without doing a massive ABS stop.

especially if your name is Kyle.

SRT MAX Plus cam, Dominator stall torque converter, AMG blue top shift solenoids, Wavetrack LSD, richmond 3.55 gears, Tein Superstreet coilovers, stack 'chubby'' sway bars, ect...
Autocross videos - (((((SRT8 Charger autocross lap.)))))  -  (((((Edited movie.)))))  -  (((((Helmet cam lap.)))))
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2010, 9:24 pm

I wouldnt say not to burn out to the point of smoking tires but enough to clean them up from gravel/dust/debris from the pits and staging lanes off them.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 7:48 am

jontoad wrote:
Illinois Chaos wrote:
but be sure you leave plenty of room to brake at the end of the track without doing a massive ABS stop.

especially if your name is Kyle.
LMAO!!!

HemiMag wrote:
I wouldnt say not to burn out to the point of smoking tires but enough to clean them up from gravel/dust/debris from the pits and staging lanes off them.
Agreed, anymore is a waste of rubber on streets.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 11:05 am

and if your going to GLD stay out the right lane... it sucks
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 12:12 pm

The Black Stig wrote:

Yeah there is a bump in it and the left lane is the "performance" lane.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 8:57 pm

The Black Stig wrote:

funny you mention that. prefer the left lane there too. never really noticed why.

SRT MAX Plus cam, Dominator stall torque converter, AMG blue top shift solenoids, Wavetrack LSD, richmond 3.55 gears, Tein Superstreet coilovers, stack 'chubby'' sway bars, ect...
Autocross videos - (((((SRT8 Charger autocross lap.)))))  -  (((((Edited movie.)))))  -  (((((Helmet cam lap.)))))
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2010, 9:30 pm

jontoad wrote:
The Black Stig wrote:

funny you mention that. prefer the left lane there too. never really noticed why.

Me too, but I did beat a Shelby Cobra from the right lane. I had a pretty good launch, though.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 9:27 am

jontoad wrote:
The Black Stig wrote:

For me it was the roll back, and i hadn't had two step on the car when i first went so yeah...
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 4:13 pm

So you mean I overdid my burnout? Lol.
Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do Burnout

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride. Amen.
Back to top Go down
goldberg1701
CAMM Pro
goldberg1701

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 8:42 pm

No such thing, as long as ya don't pop your tires. If ya did that, then ya overdid it...LOL
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2010, 9:03 am

Nice write up there Tom!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2010, 2:43 pm

bogieboy wrote:
Nice write up there Tom!!!!!

Thanks! Kent. Most important thing is to watch the official and follow his hand signals and verbal instructions. I was told last night to straighten out my car ( He stopped me as I approached the lane and then directed me to straighten out and back up for the burn out.) Later in bracket racing as I moved in to pre-stage an official jumped out in front of me waving his arms and yelling STOP!!!!! I fucking had my hood unlatched!!! After the bracket racing ended I went over to the guy and thanked him for saving my ass. They weren't mad or anything, it's just part of what they are looking for when you pull into the lane. He laughed about it and shook my hand, congratulating me for my win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do   Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drag Racing Etiquette ---help for newbs so you know what to do
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: Around Chicagoland :: At the Track-
Jump to: