Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winterizing your car

Go down 
+8
chargerchick
RT!st!C
ttruckinon
eviltrycycle
firestartr420
HiPwr
Shawn1112
andyp411
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
andyp411
CAMM Member
andyp411

Winterizing your car Empty
PostSubject: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:51 am

So I really don't want to use my Charger during the winter study with all that salt and snow on the roads.I'm going to try to save up for a $400-$600 winter beater just to take me to work and run errands but with money being tough at this moment I might fall short of that wish.With that in mind does anyone have any good tips on winterizing and keeping your car protected during the winter months?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 10:19 am

Keep it clean. Wash at least once a week and make sure you clean out the wheel wells and under cariage the best you can. I would also wax your car within the next month or so.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 10:31 am

I don't drive my heap during the Winter, but I like to take care of my Winter beater, too. I wash it often at an automatic car wash that has undercarriage spray. That damned salt works great on the snow & ice but will do a number on your car.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 11:04 am

Definately get a good coat of wax on her!!! Ill be doing just that in a few weeks, along with getting her washed about once a week, paying good attention to the undercarriage like everyone else said. You may also want to consider getting yourself a set of winter tires for better traction, if money is an issue, only get 2 tires, and mount them on the rear for the winter months on your stock wheels, or pick up a cheap set of steel wheels and have them mounted on there, and just change the tires out when the spring comes. Also check your fluid levels!!!! Make sure you have enough coolant in your system since thats what's used to heat the inside of the car. Something I wanted to ask, does anyone remove their predator tune and run with the stock tune during the winter to kinda "tame the beast" for those few months?!?
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 11:16 am

Unfortunately its looking like I am going to have to drive mine again. For sure like everyone is saying wash the car. Mine is a lovely shade of grey for most of the winter no matter how much I wash it. I have a feeling the guys at Perfect Auto Finish will be seeing my car weekly over the winter. Smile

Fluid levels and tires yes. If its going to be really bad I have thrown extra weight in the trunk just because I am not from here and I still am not 100% sure about driving in "real snow." Also I try to never let my gas tank get below 1/2 because that is added weight as well.

Good snow scraper and gloves always!!!! Almost gave myself frostbite last year.
Oh and if you don't want your floormats ruined get some all weather ones to throw in and save your stock ones.

Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 11:25 am

eviltrycycle wrote:
Unfortunately its looking like I am going to have to drive mine again. For sure like everyone is saying wash the car. Mine is a lovely shade of grey for most of the winter no matter how much I wash it. I have a feeling the guys at Perfect Auto Finish will be seeing my car weekly over the winter. Smile

Fluid levels and tires yes. If its going to be really bad I have thrown extra weight in the trunk just because I am not from here and I still am not 100% sure about driving in "real snow." Also I try to never let my gas tank get below 1/2 because that is added weight as well.

Oh and if you don't want your floormats ruined get some all weather ones to throw in and save your stock ones.

Yes!!! I forgot about the rubber floor mats!!!!! You can pick up either a cheap set at Walmart or pep boys or whatever... or if you want to get really fancy, you can get Weathertech route. Weathertech is the best since it covers your entire floor and sidewalls...
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 11:26 am

and remember Crystal..... steer INTO the spin!!!
Back to top Go down
ttruckinon
CAMM Pro
ttruckinon

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 11:46 am

Down here salt is something you put on popcorn! I haven't forgotten what winter is like up there.............but I'm trying!

A picture from "The Great Blizzard Of 2010" In Ga.

Winterizing your car 001-3
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 12:05 pm

I only spun my Jeep around and that was in Virginia. The only time I spin around here is on purpose in the upper lot after work........

I have adjusted here as well as I can I think. I still have no idea how to walk in the dang stuff though and I am clutsy so yeah.

But I am so looking forward to snow again this year, it never gets old to me, didn't get a whole lot in South Carolina and Virginia, and none in Florida.
Back to top Go down
RT!st!C
CAMM Pro
RT!st!C

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 2:48 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:

"real snow" ya.....uh, im sure its no different than the fake snow you are used to
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 6:26 pm

They made fake snow in Disney......
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 7:20 pm

Love the "blizzard" pic Darrell. Must have been tough to drive in all that. Wink
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 8:51 pm

i found a few winter beaters today one was a 1993 accord for $700 and another for $1500 1993 accord.both come with free oil changes for a year.i myself am about to buy a 1997 jeep......i cant decide if i should keep my stock tires and rims or still change them just in case ..i would really like to sell them to put towards beater.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:03 pm

inkedup wrote:
i found a few winter beaters today one was a 1993 accord for $700 and another for $1500 1993 accord.both come with free oil changes for a year.i myself am about to buy a 1997 jeep......i cant decide if i should keep my stock tires and rims or still change them just in case ..i would really like to sell them to put towards beater.

What you looking to get out of your rims?
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:40 pm

Good Lord Nick!! Do you ever stop??? Geesh! LOL
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:43 pm

My garage is full of stuff for me to do.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:53 pm

I was thinking $500.its tires and rims and there's meat on them
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:54 pm

Tempting very tempting
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:56 pm

I'm just worried if I sell them.and what if my beater doesn't start one day.guess ill take off.....lol
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:58 pm

If I picked yours up I would be selling mine
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 9:59 pm

What's wrong with yours
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 10:00 pm

Nothing just want something different. I have the chrome clad 20's and full size spare rim
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 10:04 pm

Ill take some pics tommorow
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 10:13 pm

Ok
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2010, 10:32 pm

You know there the OEM rims ....right
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winterizing your car   Winterizing your car I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winterizing your car
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Exterior-
Jump to: