Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw

Go down 
+10
chargerchick
Aeroblur
irishrt5.7
AlterEgo
bogieboy
ghost
Hurst Pak
Invader
Headtripp
Okie6.1
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw Empty
PostSubject: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJune 30th 2010, 10:05 am

Anyone have experience cutting lexan? I'm thinking of making a clear insert for my engine cover. Got instructions for lxforums but I have never cut it before or have the gear to do so. Thinking of after this hooking up some blue lights under and doing blue grill lights at the same time. Just need some help with what to buy and then getting it done. Here is the link for how to do it.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?p=3014584

Last edited by Okie5.7 on July 23rd 2010, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJune 30th 2010, 10:09 am

I would use painters tape and cut it bigger than you need to. Use a dremel tool to do the cutting it may melt some of the plastic but this is why you use the tape so it don't melt onto the good area of your project.
Then sand the edges with sandpaper until you have your correct size. This is what I did with my headlight covers just take your time and keep the whole thing taped until you are done to avoid melted plastic and scratches.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 3:51 pm

Does anyone have a bandsaw that I could use?
Back to top Go down
Invader
CAMM Member
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 4:14 pm

I do but I'm not very close to you.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 4:16 pm

Yeah need a little closer but thanks anyways
Back to top Go down
Hurst Pak
CAMM Pro
Hurst Pak

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 5:31 pm

I am sure home depot , menards or lowes can cut it for you.

or maybe a rental shop ?

my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 8:06 pm

try using a jig saw with a fine toothed finish blade
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 8:09 pm

Invader wrote:
I do but I'm not very close to you.

same here..........not too close either....
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 8:18 pm

tried the jig saw today with not so great results need a steady tool. I will cal home depot and other stores tomorrow as my phone was crapped out today and just got a new one a couple hours ago.
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 9:53 pm

Vic used a dremel tool and has a belt sander here. Bring it to Mod night and we can get it done here without you spending money on buying tools. OR bring it by on Sunday after the Twisted Pipes open house and I'm sure we can fix ya up.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 10:40 pm

Yeah shit and i have a roto zip... much easier in my opinion then trying to use a band saw...
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 10:42 pm

I have to work sunday so I will save it for mod night. Brian the roto zip would make quick work of both the lexan and engine cover.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2010, 10:57 pm

Between that and vics dremel i think we will be able to take care of some shit... i love using dremels much easier to work w/ just melts the lexan... when i used to race nitro cars... its what i used to use to cut out my bodies...
Back to top Go down
Aeroblur
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2010, 7:20 am

Doesnt the hobbyshop have something you can use? i would think they do.. they have had everything (in reason) that i have asked for.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2010, 8:42 am

Nope they didn't first place I checked.
Back to top Go down
Aeroblur
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2010, 10:29 am

awh that sucks
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2010, 7:54 pm

Update: I cut the new insert today and will be drilling the holes and mounting tomorrow. Taking my time to make sure it is done right. Should be complete tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 7:22 pm

Here are some pics of the engine insert.

Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw 33532_1467587061611_1591597014_1111019_7723584_n

Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw 44787_1467587141613_1591597014_1111021_6480075_n

Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw 46163_1467587221615_1591597014_1111022_8193190_n

Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw 40079_1455022307500_1591597014_1074684_1456212_n
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 7:40 pm

That is just awesome! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 8:07 pm

With halo's its going to be even better.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 8:16 pm

Nick told you on Sat night it looks so badass dude. Very cool idea.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 8:17 pm

Thanks and when the new mods are done it will be even better Smile
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 8:18 pm

Waiting for all the copy cats since you were getting all the pics taken at the last two places you were at. Wink
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 8:19 pm

Hey go ahead and have fun with it but I was the first around here.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 8:55 pm

I think it looks great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw   Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lexan Engine cover insert need bandsaw
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Engine Bay Aesthetics-
Jump to: