Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

clay bar???

Go down 
+3
Moparcharger07
eviltrycycle
bogieboy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 8:48 pm

i see them on the shelf at the auto store, i hear you guys talking about them, what are they, what do they do, and how do i use them???

also, will they get rid of minor imperfections in the paint? like oxidation? if not, what do i use for that???
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 8:50 pm

We talked about clay bars last night in chat.

This is the clay bar I use, long read, you were warned.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SGCWC&Store_Code=Z

Cleaning with Clay
Every car finish shares a common enemy: pollution. It relentlessly pursues your car from the second it leaves the factory until your car meets its ultimate demise. It's in the air we breathe, it's on the roads we drive, and it attaches to your car's paint, where it bonds and begins a process of oxidation.

When contaminants get a solid grip on your car's paint, washing alone may not be enough to remove them. Pre-wax cleaners also may not be able to exfoliate large particles. In this case, you have two choices: use a polishing compound, which removes a lot of paint material, or use Z-18 ClayBar. Clay isn't a polish or a compound, it is a surface preparation bar that smoothes the paint and exfoliates contaminants.

USES FOR CLAY
Clay is not a cure-all or a replacement for polishing. It's a tool for removing surface contamination. One of the many reasons for using clay is the removal of brake dust. Brake dust contamination, which attaches to painted rear bumpers and adjoining surfaces, is a metallic surface contaminant that can be removed safely and effectively by using clay.

Clay is also very effective on paint over-spray. If the over-spray is particularly heavy, you may want to seek the assistance of a professional. Tree sap and tar specks can also be safely removed with a clay bar. Recently, I have also started using clay on my windows (exterior) to remove heavy road film, bug deposits and water spots. It works very well, and seems to outperform even the best window cleaners.

EVALUATING YOUR PAINT FOR CLAY
How do you know if you need to use Z-18 ClayBar? After thoroughly hand washing and drying your car, stretch a piece of saran wrap over your hand extending past your fingertips. Gently slide the saran wrap across the finish of your vehicle. Does the surface feel bumpy or gritty? These bumps are contaminants attacking the finish of your car. Removing these surface contaminants (rail dust, road tar, bug residue, paint over-spray, brake pad dust, hard water spots, etc.) will improve both the look and health of your car's paint.

No matter how well you hand-wash your car, many of the contaminants that have worked their way into your car's paint finish will remain. Have you ever looked at your applicator pad after applying a coat of polish? What do you think that black stuff is? It's dirt, and you're sealing it in.

USING THE Z-18 CLAYBAR
Before using a Z-18 ClayBar on your car, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant.

To use the clay bar, you spray a water-based lubricant (1/2 a cap of Z-7 Show Car Wash with 16 ounces of water) on a small area of your car and rub the bar back and forth with light to medium pressure. Z-18 ClayBar should glide across your paint like a hockey puck on ice. If the lubricant begins to dry, and the Z-18 ClayBar begins to drag, you'll need to spray more lubricant. Clay is fairly sticky, and cannot be used dry.

After a few passes with the ClayBar, rub your hand over the area to feel if the surface contamination was removed. Keep rubbing until all contamination bumps are gone. Finally, wipe the clay residue off with a soft terrycloth towel, and buff to a nice luster. Just like waxing, work in small areas.

Check your Z-18 ClayBar frequently for hard particles. When found, pick them off. Make it a habit to occasionally knead and reform the bar so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts your car's paint. If you drop your bar of clay on the ground, it's history. Toss it out. Don't take any chances, discard the clay bar if it becomes impregnated with grit. Read the manufacturers' directions for the number of uses of their clay bar. Do not overuse a clay bar.

When you're finished claying your car, you should wash it with Z-7 Show Car Wash to remove the lubricant film. Finally, polish and seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes, Z-3 Show Car Polish for Non-clear Coated Paint, or Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches enabled with ZFX™️ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 8:57 pm

so, after reading the short book, Whistle yes, it will take care of the slight oxidation i have going on??
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:00 pm

If its surface only yes but if its down in the paint I don't think so. You can go to Zanio Bros website and send Sal an email. Its been a while since I emailed him but they were quick about getting back with questions. They can recommend which products will work if something will work. They are good people, have dealt with them for over 10 years now.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:03 pm

ok, i think i will get one tomorrow, and see what happens......thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:05 pm

Np good luck. It takes work, just make sure you have lube (hee hee) or you will end up with expensive play dough and don't drop it. If you do you might as well just toss it out because all you will be doing it rubbing little tiny particles of dirt against your paint and defeating the purpose of claying in the first place.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:27 pm

hmm.....i have played with clay a few times...Whistle Whistle i think i know what the keeping it lubed is like...Whistle Whistle

clay bar??? N903020511_7031239_3126846

clay bar??? N903020511_2314430_8727

hehe...think i will be ok?? eh
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:28 pm

Uhh....
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:33 pm

i think i know what i am doing with clay?? do I?
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:33 pm

That clay yeah but if you want to make a dude out of a claybar go for it.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:38 pm

i would need more than one.....that guy was approx. 60 lbs of wet clay....
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:49 pm

I don't know, but that clay guy with the hat is creepy.... lol
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 9:58 pm

he was part of an assignment in my pottery class.....not by my choice...i prefer to wheel throw, he was hand built.....i hate hand building.....
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:00 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
That clay yeah but if you want to make a dude out of a claybar go for it.

Now THAT is a great line! LOL
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:02 pm

Bogie-

I use Meguiar's clay bar kit. The clay lube it comes with is Meguiar's Quick Detailer spray...just spray a ton when you use it.

Clay FTW!!!
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:05 pm

damn....and i just bought a bottle of that quick detail spray too!!!!!!

that stuff is fuckin awesome for quick details for cruise nights......
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:14 pm

bogieboy wrote:
damn....and i just bought a bottle of that quick detail spray too!!!!!!

that stuff is fuckin awesome for quick details for cruise nights......

Yeah I always (ALWAYS) keep one in my trunk...great for that quick fix of bird crap when you come out of a store and find some.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:16 pm

LOLz.....i have also used this....but i cant find it anywhere but online...had 1 bottle that a freind ordered.......LOVED IT!!!!

clay bar??? P84865b
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:18 pm

Moparcharger06 wrote:

Chucky Clay, lol
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:20 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
Moparcharger06 wrote:

Chucky Clay, lol

actually, he is Kent Clayman..............
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 10:55 pm

please do not rub a clay pot on your car.
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 22nd 2010, 11:00 pm

Lol I would never do that Jon!!!!!! We add sand to our clay for throwing.......makes it dry more uniform.....as well as eat the skin off your hands while throwing....not a good thing for paint........if it eats skin, it will eat paint....LOL
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2010, 7:42 pm

You eat paint? wut
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2010, 9:06 pm

bogieboy wrote:
Illinois Chaos wrote:
Moparcharger06 wrote:

Chucky Clay, lol

actually, he is Kent Clayman..............

ROTLMFAO!!!! I almost PEED!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

clay bar??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: clay bar???   clay bar??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

clay bar???
Page 1 of 1