Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to- paint those chrome crosshairs

Go down 
+10
Iguanaman
eviltrycycle
jontoad
chargerchick
Moparcharger07
irishrt5.7
jesse031081
ghost
Headtripp
Dartboy
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

How to- paint those chrome crosshairs Empty
PostSubject: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 3:13 pm

ok so kinda got sick of the chrome stock crosshairs/grill... I got the honeycomb insert awhile ago..

so looked around for a flat black crosshair...like on the Daytonas... could only find em new for like $300 ...

so decided to sand a chrome one down and see how it comes out..
Thanks Metallic Blue for your stock grill!!

quick write up...

step one...
take you grill out -

step 2- remove the slats or honeycomb...

step 3- get to sanding... I used a coarse sandpaper (think 220) to reall rough up the surface and remove the shiny finish of the chrome (looked like brushes nickel when done) be SURE to get all the corners and edges... the corners abit tough when ya got catcher mitts for hands... so bend the sandpaper and get em...

step 4- really clean off the dust...I used my air compressor and then wiped it down REAL good...

step 5 - PAINT..
How to- paint those chrome crosshairs Carfrontgrilldone001

used this for the flat black and came out real nice... (it dont need primer or sanding)
start with a light misting over the whole surface..using long side to side spraying..
let dry a good 1hr betwen coats maybe less if you in a warm area (I'm not!)

step 6- after shes all dry..make SURE its dry, so you dont put fingerprint is semi cured paint!! reinsert your honeycomb!

step 7- reinsert your grill!

step 8- enjoy the NEW look of your front end!

before pic (wife camera from awhile agaon on a bright sunny day)
How to- paint those chrome crosshairs Grillchrome

after ..(my camera on a cold overcast chicago winter day) but the difference is soooooooooooo much nicer in person!
How to- paint those chrome crosshairs Grillblack

easy project scale of one to tem...MAYBE a 7...with removing and sanding... Hope this helps someone!
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 3:21 pm

Nice write up Chris and it looks damn good...
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 3:25 pm

Thanks vic...its a real nice difference!

never really liked the chrome... and the flat black goes well with all the other flat black stuff!
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 3:28 pm

looks good darty! just so you know though that black crosshair from mopar is like $120. i'll get you a part # if you need it.
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 3:34 pm

yeah dave get me that! everywhere I found it was $250-$300... or maybe that was with the honeycomb and all with it... but do send me the parts # and a site to get it if you know one...Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 3:40 pm

that looks 100% better than chrome! congrats chris
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 4:23 pm

That is the same paint u use on all the parts of my car... works amazing...
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 4:26 pm

Dartboy wrote:
yeah dave get me that! everywhere I found it was $250-$300... or maybe that was with the honeycomb and all with it... but do send me the parts # and a site to get it if you know one...Thanks!!!

for sure chris. that has to be y it was so expensive, i think u r right

irishrt5.7 wrote:
That is the same paint u use on all the parts of my car... works amazing...

ditto bro
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 6:42 pm

That looks WAY better man!!!
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 7:34 pm

Great write up and it looks fantastic! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 8:34 pm

i hated the chrome cross hair. i hate chrome anything, but i thought you were attached to that thing. looks way better now Chris. nice job.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 8:36 pm

Looks great man, I cannot WAIT to get mine off and get those rims off my car. No more chrome for me as well.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 11:42 pm

Me Likey!

And since I couldn't even GIVE my chrome grille away in a "Pay It Forward," I'm offering it up as the official first target for a CAMM Shooting Outing once it warms up.
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 12:01 am

Iguanaman wrote:
Me Likey!

And since I couldn't even GIVE my chrome grille away in a "Pay It Forward," I'm offering it up as the official first target for a CAMM Shooting Outing once it warms up.

Planning it!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 12:15 am

eviltrycycle wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:
Me Likey!

Planning it!!!!!

Boo-yaaa!!! Let's break out the firepower!
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 12:36 am

I want to shoot a fridge...
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 12:53 am

Iguanaman wrote:
Me Likey!

I think Chris is looking for one of these so he can paint 'em up.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blue
CAMM Member
Metallic Blue

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 9:23 am

The flat black looks way better than chrome. Nicely done - thanks for the write up.
Back to top Go down
AR-15QUEEN
CAMM All-Star
AR-15QUEEN

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 10:15 am

That looks really good! Nice job thumbsup
Back to top Go down
pigpen
CAMM Member
pigpen

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 11:07 pm

Looks good man!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 6:38 am

Looks good bro, whats up with all the Chrome Haters. lol
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 7:13 am

Its ugly... hey you asked... lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to- paint those chrome crosshairs   How to- paint those chrome crosshairs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to- paint those chrome crosshairs
Page 1 of 1