Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone electronically inclined??

Go down 
+2
Shawn1112
Dalegit1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

Anyone electronically inclined?? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 9:19 am

Here's the deal. I purchased a double-din off ebay. It is a pretty cool unit so much so when my brother saw it he had me get him one and it's all good.

My problem is it appears the unit has a mind of it's own. The unit always powers up, it plays and all of the features are functional except the display screen. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. So we snatched the unit out to see what was going on but when we just powered it up outside of the car the display comes on everytime. So then, I thought it was an install issue, so the unit was reinstalled with different power sources and guess what the same result. No

Frustrated I contacted the seller and shipped it back to the company for a new unit claiming the one I have is defective. They sent me a different unit. Same problem. So then I was like what's the deal?? :mad:

The technical support told me that it has to be grounded properly. It can not just be hooking up to the ground wire but connected directly to the battery. Anyone heard of such a hook up? Again, my brother has the same unit and all he did was run the wires as normal and everything works properly for him everytime. We even took his out of his car and put it in mine and it worked as it suppose to every time.

I don't know why, mine displays sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. It's like if I power up the car and turn the radio on it works fine. But as soon as I turn the car off and back on again, the display doesn't illuminate.

Any ideas what's going on? Any suggestions? Anyone know how to properly run the ground wire to battery as the technical support told me to do? Because I have done everything else but that so far.

Help please and thank you!!

~Renee'
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 9:46 am

I have never heard of running a ground wire to a battery for a radio. Do you have the correct wiring harness? Its wierd cause you say when the car is running everything works fine!! Also did you hook up the illumination wire on the harness, its usually an orange wire on both the radio and wiring harness? If I understood you correctly you said you put your brothers in your car and it worked fine? If thats the case I would assume the head-unit is bad. Maybe when you sent it back they tested it off a battery charger or something and figured it worked and sent you the same unit back.

If you continue to have problems my guy owns a shop by 147th and Kedzie he could take a look for ya.
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 10:13 am

Shawn1112 wrote:
I have never heard of running a ground wire to a battery for a radio. Do you have the correct wiring harness? Its wierd cause you say when the car is running everything works fine!! Also did you hook up the illumination wire on the harness, its usually an orange wire on both the radio and wiring harness? If I understood you correctly you said you put your brothers in your car and it worked fine? If thats the case I would assume the head-unit is bad. Maybe when you sent it back they tested it off a battery charger or something and figured it worked and sent you the same unit back.

If you continue to have problems my guy owns a shop by 147th and Kedzie he could take a look for ya.

^^^ That's what I thought as well. It apppears to me that it is the same unit, but the company swear they switched it out for me. Anyway, again the stupid display works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. It's the weirdest I've ever seen. I can literally go out to the car right now and start the car and the radio display will come on with that beautiful picture. But as soon as I turn the car off, and restart the car the display doesn't come on. wth???

Other than that no complaints. Because not having usage of the screen doesn't effect the unit overall. I can still listen to the radio, I can still use the bluetooth function, I can still play dvds I just can't always see it. Now it does have a LCD button to turn off the display like when the cops come around or something but I don't use it. So, I'm thinking my problem is stemming from that little button.

As for the wiring harness, the one that was used came with the unit. I actually, had it professionally installed twice, once at a place in Richton Park and once at Best Buy.

I dunno. I have never had any problems with a unit like this before.

Last edited by Dalegit1 on July 10th 2009, 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 10:24 am

I'm at a loss myself, I have 1 other question is the parking brake wire hooked up. Usually you need to hook that up so you can watch dvd's or tv. I know best buy will not over-ride that wire so it will play when your driving. Also does your brothers unit work like its supposed to in your car. If so then the unit is screwed up. If thats the case take pics of both your unit not working and a pic of your brothers working in your car.
Like I said there should be no reason to run a ground to the battery.

I have to run to home depot to get supplies for my guys will check back in about 20 minutes.
Back to top Go down
sak9880
CAMM Member
sak9880

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 3:52 pm

what brand and model radio and what year is your car? most radios are different. normally need the parking, but they can vary.
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 4:05 pm

Now don't laugh ... the name of my unit isn't one of the infamous brands ... its an Innovatek. The year of my magnum is 2006.

My brother's unit worked fine in my car. Powers right up, picture shows, when car is started and after it is shut off.

My unit works all but the screen. And that's not always which is weird. Like I said, when I first start the car the screen comes on no problem. It's only after I reach my destination and shut the car off, let's say to go to gas up. When I get to the station screen working. When I restart the car to leave the station,screen doesn't come on. Almost as if it needs a cool off period or something.

But when the same unit is out of the car, everytime it is turned on it powers up, screen comes on every single time I shut it off and back on again. That's what made me think it was an install issue. I don't know maybe I will just get rid of it and start over with Alpine or Pioneer which, I initially started to buy anyway!!
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 4:57 pm

ok here are pics of the system both installed and out of the car ...

Anyone electronically inclined?? Car005
My unit and my brothers together
Anyone electronically inclined?? Car020
My unit after starting car.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2009, 7:31 pm

Oh great. Now I want one. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 1:06 am

What they hit for Renee?Does your brother have a LX too?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 1:24 am

I still think its something with the head unit, if your brothers works perfect in your car and yours doesnt it has to be the problem.

BTW how the hell are you watching BET on the screen?
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 10:00 am

Response to Madhatter - Well when I originally purchased mine a few months back, I paid just under $300.00 for it including shipping. But now it's selling direct from their website at $199.00 plus shipping. I was like wow. But they are always upgrading so I suppose that's the reason for the price drop. Here's a link to the site if anyone else is seriously interested.
http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/dvd/index.html#2

Response to Shawn - Now for your question about how did I get BET, it's a disc of videos recorded from MTV, VH1 and BET.
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 12:06 pm

Ok, i say right down the serial # & send it back again for another one or just take your brothers & have him send yours back for another 1!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 2:27 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Ok, i say right down the serial # & send it back again for another one or just take your brothers & have him send yours back for another 1!
Very good idea!
Back to top Go down
sak9880
CAMM Member
sak9880

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 6:06 pm

yeah i agree, send them the photo too to prove there is an issue.
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2009, 11:46 pm

Yeah I should, I had given up because of the expense of sending it back and forth plus the wait time. But it's paid for and I should have a properly working product. Will shoot them an email so they can reissue a return receipt. I've done business with them several times and never had a problem before like this. The last one I bought for my jeep had a detachable face and the only issue I had with it was the little clip that secures the face to the unit wore after awhile. I told them about it, they issued a return receipt and they sent me a brand spanking new one out in 2 days. I'm still using it now in my jeep. Nice unit. Nice picture, Great sound.

So I will give it a try one last time. If I'm not taken care of properly this time I will not purchase from them again and will certainly let them know this!!
Back to top Go down
Hoodie
CAMM Pro
Hoodie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2009, 8:38 pm

Definitely sounds like a bad unit.. And if it happened again I'd say they probably tested it and sent it right back to you because they couldn't duplicate it on a bench test.. I'd send it in and make sure you get a different unit back this time.. If not, let them know and don't use them ever again..
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2009, 9:07 pm

Did you send it back?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2009, 12:28 am

Mad Hatter wrote:
Did you send it back?
What he said???
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2009, 12:51 am

No not yet, waiting on the return receipt from the company. I was told I should have it no later than Monday, then I will send it back and it will have the proper tracking info for their internal records, I'm told.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone electronically inclined??   Anyone electronically inclined?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone electronically inclined??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Electronics-
Jump to: