Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP

Go down 
+9
josph26
Dalegit1
clj17
Mad Hatter
ghost
irishrt5.7
AR-15QUEEN
Shawn1112
crazy933
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP Empty
PostSubject: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 1:33 pm

Does anyone have any tips and tricks when it comes to touching up chips and scratches?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 3:24 pm

Not really just touch up paint. I saw something on a different forum before not sure if it works. But what the guy did was fill in a scratch or a chip with touch up paint, and I mean he really filled it in (looked like shit) he let it dry, then wet sanded it and buffed it out. It came out super good couldnt even tell he touched it up. I dont know anyone who has tried this method.
Back to top Go down
AR-15QUEEN
CAMM All-Star
AR-15QUEEN

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 3:29 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Not really just touch up paint. I saw something on a different forum before not sure if it works. But what the guy did was fill in a scratch or a chip with touch up paint, and I mean he really filled it in (looked like shit) he let it dry, then wet sanded it and buffed it out. It came out super good couldnt even tell he touched it up. I dont know anyone who has tried this method.

That is a detailing trick! u have to REALLY OVERFILL it and let it completely DRY!!! I worked at a body shop for 2 yrs and it was a trick we did quite often!

Just becareful when wet sanding don't apply pressure with finger tips...keep light pressure even with 1500 grit sandpaper. Keep sand paper surface wet at all times with soapy water!
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 3:30 pm

yeah i remember that when i used to detail cars...
Back to top Go down
ghost
Founding Member
Founding Member
ghost

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 3:38 pm

that sounds like a pita! i imagine if you screw this up, the outcome is worse than the original scratch?
Back to top Go down
AR-15QUEEN
CAMM All-Star
AR-15QUEEN

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 3:40 pm

ghost wrote:
that sounds like a pita! i imagine if you screw this up, the outcome is worse than the original scratch?

It could be bad!

U just have to take ur time and keep an eye on what ur doing.
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 4:10 pm

I used a product called Dr. Color Chip on my Grand am and have been practicing on that car first before I try the charger, It worked o.k. but for the price I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 6:04 pm

ghost wrote:
I think your only problem would be too much pressure when sanding, if you start sanding the clear coat off your fucked!
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 8:57 pm

i saw the post on the other forum about the guy who did a goor job but there is no way i'm taking sandpaper to the car cuz i will screw up somethin.
Back to top Go down
Mad Hatter
CAMM Member
Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeSeptember 29th 2009, 8:57 pm

affraid
Back to top Go down
clj17
CAMM Member
clj17

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2009, 7:35 am

I am looking at getting this product for chips and scartches

http://www.langka.com/complete-paint-chip-repair-kit-p-30.html
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2009, 7:45 am

Kool, let us know how it works!
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeOctober 13th 2009, 12:58 pm

yeah, let me know the results, I wasn't happy with the Dr. Color Chip. it looks similar to the Langka system. When I followed the directions for colr chip, I would wipe all the paint out of the chip when i would smear the paint with my finger, I tried to do it so lightly. I even let the paint sit an hour and not smear it and then used the blending solution and it came out better but it's not worth the cost of the kit.
Back to top Go down
Dalegit1
CAMM Pro
Dalegit1

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2009, 9:07 pm

Dang, I'd like to try this but hell to da no .... I've got to let a professional do this one.
Back to top Go down
josph26
CAMM Member
josph26

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 4:45 pm

Hey Guys, I got the rear quarter panel of my trucked scratched up at the grocery store (Run away carts)... I need a good referral for some touch-up work, preferably in the southwest suburbs area.... Any help??? "Bueller??" " Cricket ....cricket" Smile
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 4:51 pm

I used Collision Revision when I got in my accident last year and they did an amazing job on the car. Will be going back to them soon to get a few spots touched up and the bumper done.

(815) 439-7401
16000 S Lincoln Hwy, Plainfield, IL 60586

I will try to find the card of the guy I worked with when I get home and post up his name but everyone there was great.
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 5:10 pm

PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP Icon_tongue Please refer to this thread regarding parking PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP Icon_tongue

Lapd_Ofcr wrote:
Hey Guys, I got the rear quarter panel of my trucked scratched up at the grocery store (Run away carts)... I need a good referral for some touch-up work, preferably in the southwest suburbs area.... Any help??? "Bueller??" " Cricket ....cricket" PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
crazy933
CAMM Pro
crazy933

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 6:59 pm

todd's body shop, rt 30 and lilly cache, in plainfield, they did awesome work on the charger after turtle wax f'ed it up and fixed an explorer for me also.
Back to top Go down
Plum933
CAMM Member
Plum933

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 7:04 pm

crazy933 wrote:
i saw the post on the other forum about the guy who did a goor job but there is no way i'm taking sandpaper to the car cuz i will screw up somethin.

and I'd kick his ass for it too!
Back to top Go down
josph26
CAMM Member
josph26

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 10:31 pm

Great tips on the Plainfield location "Evil!" Let me know if you find that business card..
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 12th 2010, 11:27 pm

Card is long gone but just call them and talk to anyone they were all cool.

And you can call me evil, no " " needed. Smile
Back to top Go down
josph26
CAMM Member
josph26

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 9:27 am

OK Evil.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 10:29 am

I want to say the guys name was Dave but that could be completely incorrect.
Back to top Go down
DamnSTR8
CAMM Pro
DamnSTR8

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 4:40 pm

That is the BEST way to do it!! Put a good amount of touch up paint ino the chip and let it soak in for about 2 hours then wet sand it and buff!! I had it done even on the plastic bumper casuse a piece flaked off and it looks awesome!! There a company out in Elk Grove Village, IL that can help you out!

Schaeffer's Auto Body
1100 East Higgins Road Elk Grove Vlg, IL 60007-1508 -
(847) 437-3650

As long as you have the touch up paint ask em and im sure theyll be glad to help!!

P.S if you want any paint work done they do a great job as well!!
Back to top Go down
josph26
CAMM Member
josph26

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitimeApril 13th 2010, 5:01 pm

Great tip !! Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP   PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PAINT CHIPS AND TOUCH UP
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next