Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which oil to use in my Scat Pack

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bl4d3runn3r
CAMM Member
bl4d3runn3r

Which oil to use in my Scat Pack Empty
PostSubject: Which oil to use in my Scat Pack   Which oil to use in my Scat Pack I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2016, 9:26 am

Hi guys,

i have 1700 miles now on my scat pack and i would like to do my first oil change.

The question is now which oil to use. I found these on amazon, which should i use?

Royal Purple 11484 API-Licensed SAE 0W-40 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 qt.
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-11484-API-Licensed-Performance/dp/B002KD0M8A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Castrol 03101 EDGE 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JGQLZSU/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Mobil 1 120760 Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 5 Quart
http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120760-Synthetic-Motor-0W-40/dp/B00HG76A9A/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51IrZkPE6pL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1XZ7PA7ZMFMG3JN5PB66

As i am from Germany i always used Castrol in my cars and never had problems, but i don't know if there are any complains about using this oil in a big V8 Engine.

btw, is this the right oil filter?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T08WXM/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can i bring in my own oil for an oil change and anybody has suggestions where to do the oil change in arlington heights area?
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Which oil to use in my Scat Pack   Which oil to use in my Scat Pack I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2016, 10:21 am

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is Mopars go to oil. It's SRT branded and works pretty well, been using it on the 1st gen 6.1 and I haven't had any oil squirter whine like I had when I brought the car using this oil. Any of those other synthetics work well too.
That filter is the Viper filter but will work on 6.4s as well.
SRT oil: http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040856-6PK-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCE6U/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SFN3MNEYQJVYH7BGRBA
Back to top Go down
bl4d3runn3r
CAMM Member
bl4d3runn3r

PostSubject: Re: Which oil to use in my Scat Pack   Which oil to use in my Scat Pack I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2016, 4:21 pm

Primarily I'm searching for an oil that's quiets down the tick... Heard of some people saying that the ticking is much better with different oil than that from the factory.

Originally i wanted to go with AMSOIL 0w40, but can't find a place to buy it.
Back to top Go down
bl4d3runn3r
CAMM Member
bl4d3runn3r

PostSubject: Re: Which oil to use in my Scat Pack   Which oil to use in my Scat Pack I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2016, 4:25 pm

I think i will go with the Castrol first, if that doesn't help, i'll try RP 0w40
Back to top Go down
Jeebus
CAMM Member
Jeebus

PostSubject: Re: Which oil to use in my Scat Pack   Which oil to use in my Scat Pack I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2016, 6:52 pm

You will need to sign up as a preferred customer, and order it from the website. Comes petty quickly. I think it is $16 a year to be a preferred customer, but you will get discounted prices then, I believe it was about $8 a quart of the 0w40.
Back to top Go down
bl4d3runn3r
CAMM Member
bl4d3runn3r

PostSubject: Re: Which oil to use in my Scat Pack   Which oil to use in my Scat Pack I_icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2016, 11:15 am

I changed the oil to Castrol Edge 0W40 and the SRT oilfilter, after that I experienced another ticking noise in lower RPMs (1300 to 1900), went to the dealer and they said they hear nothing... but it was clearly hearable, after some minutes driving the mechanic heard it but said it´s normal.

I did some test driving and i figured out that the noise isn´t there when i start up the car until the oil temp reaches 158F. As soon as the oil reaches 201F the noise goes away again and starts at 210F again and doesn´t go away anymore.

Today i changed the oil again to AMSOIL Signature 0W40, this is a certified oil for the 392. I still have the same problem, but it seems that the "normal" Hemi tick is a little quieter now.

I tried to record the noise, but it´s not hearable in the engine compartment, i´m just able to hear it inside the car while driving. As soon as i open the window, i don´t hear it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which oil to use in my Scat Pack   Which oil to use in my Scat Pack I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which oil to use in my Scat Pack
Page 1 of 1