Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Luke's Cruise In is no more

Go down 
+2
nolajunkie
eviltrycycle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

Luke's Cruise In is no more Empty
PostSubject: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 12th 2015, 9:42 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/elgin-courier-news/news/ct-ecn-lukes-car-shows-carpentersville-st-0512-20150512-story.html

A Carpentersville restaurant has pulled the plug on its Thursday night car shows, village officials said.

For the past few years, Luke's has been hosting the popular classic car shows during the warmer months at its 2 L W Besinger Drive location.

But what started out small has "overgrown what it was intended to be," said Police Chief Michael Kilbourne.

"We haven't had to pay attention until last year when it started to grow," Kilbourne said during a recent Village Board meeting. "I liken it to one of those cute little potbelly pigs. By the time they get to be three, four, five years old it's a 600-pound pig walking around your house. That's what we've got today. A 600-pound pig walking around at Meadowdale Mall on Thursday nights."

Kilbourne said the owners of Luke's, who sponsor the car shows along with The Chicago Garage, have been great at managing the events "when they could."

However, recently, police officials were notified that Luke's and The Chicago Garage became aware that a flash mob planned to assemble to coincide with the release of the movie "Furious Seven," during one of the car shows.

"Luke's came to us and said, 'We want some help, we want to shut this down,'" Kilbourne said.

In the meantime, Kilbourne said The Chicago Garage reached out through its website asking if the car shows should continue to be held at Luke's.

"The vote was 9-1 to leave Luke's," Kilbourne said.

Luke's representatives declined to comment.

Police officials have been out helping Luke's by patrolling the area to let people know the car show isn't happening anymore.

Trustees agreed it was time to put a stop to the Thursday night events.

"It isn't that I want to rain on anybody's parade," Trustee Pat Schultz said. "A lot of places have cruise nights and they're fun. There's no reason they shouldn't be."

But Schultz said there were so many cars during one of the recent Thursday night shows it was hard to get through that area.

"It just didn't look like it was a cruise night," she said. "I certainly don't want to see Luke's losing any revenue. However, I'm not even sure everybody was in there buying hot dogs."

Trustee Kevin Rehberg agreed a special permit is needed for such large events.

"They were getting around that ordinance and those stipulations such as insurance that needs to be carried because it did grow from a small gathering that didn't qualify for it into something that did," he said. "I don't want to classify it as something good or bad. It just transitioned into something that needed a permit."

Kilbourne said the restaurant owners acknowledged it was time to put a stop to the events.

"They've made a business decision," he said. "They realized it's gotten past the tipping point."
Back to top Go down
nolajunkie
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 13th 2015, 7:12 am

it was kind of out of control.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 13th 2015, 12:02 pm

I told you guys this a month ago. Sometimes I know what I'm talking about
Back to top Go down
nolajunkie
CAMM Member

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 13th 2015, 12:11 pm

It was definitely not my type of scene but i knew a few guys who loved to go. Had to see it for myself and it was a crazy Time.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 13th 2015, 5:16 pm

Was a lot better before the idiots starting taking over 2 years ago. When it was just the TCG guys it was real laid back
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 13th 2015, 6:27 pm

They were right to be concerned over the "Furious Seven flash mob". There's a scene in that movie where they drive a semi truck into a hot dog stand and it explodes but only after Vin Diesel jumps to safety while shooting two handguns.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 14th 2015, 11:56 am

Thanks, havent seen the movie yet, lol
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 14th 2015, 6:43 pm

If you are shooting with your feet, are they still called handguns?
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 14th 2015, 6:59 pm

funkpolice wrote:
If you are shooting with your feet, are they still called handguns?

He wasn't shooting with his feet. Those fast and furious movies are dead-on realistic and would never have something so preposterous.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 14th 2015, 8:06 pm

Damn. I have only seen a few scenes from an Australian fan re-enactment video, and there was definitely foot shooting in that. Now that I think about it, there were only one or two cars. It was pretty much just foot shooting. weird.

bill
Back to top Go down
Blackbird
CAMM Member
Blackbird

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitimeMay 15th 2015, 1:10 pm

HiPwr wrote:
Those fast and furious movies are dead-on realistic and would never have something so preposterous.

You mean all I need is a couple of SRT's and I can drag a huge safe through the streets at high speeds? Imagine what you could drag around with a couple of Hellcats.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luke's Cruise In is no more   Luke's Cruise In is no more I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luke's Cruise In is no more
Page 1 of 1