Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm going to the track on Sun.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

I'm going to the track on Sun. Empty
PostSubject: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2013, 8:14 pm

I'm planning on heading up to Great Lakes on Sun., anyone else want to go? I'll probably be there from 9 to about 1. If Tom and the Mr Norm guys are going to Byron I'll head over there instead.

bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 6:35 am

Yep, planning on Sat. and Sun. at Byron. Weather looks much better this week. Next week it is showing 70's for Mon. and Tues., so maybe it is going to break now.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 12:05 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
Yep, planning on Sat. and Sun. at Byron. Weather looks much better this week. Next week it is showing 70's for Mon. and Tues., so maybe it is going to break now.
Wishful thinking Tom. No spring this year we will go rite in to summer
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 6:22 pm

That's fine with me. I think we are testing as many as 6 cars over Sat. and Sun. Should be a panic attack.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 6:41 pm

Fuck, would love to go up their with you guys. I got work to do around the house and yard. Gotta keep the wifey happy, she lets me mod my cars and doesnt really bitch that much.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 7:02 pm

how much more crowded is Byron than Great Lakes? Are there really long lines in the staging lanes?

bill
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 7:04 pm

Good luck brother and be safe!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 7:30 pm

funkpolice wrote:
how much more crowded is Byron than Great Lakes? Are there really long lines in the staging lanes?

bill
Dont think your going to see it like GLD the day we went. That was rare for any track
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 7:39 am

Byron has Jr. drags and HS drags, plus t&t on Sat. It will be busy, as always. Sun. it's t&t only. I expect that there will be 140 + cars, on Sun.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 7:35 pm

I have a wake to go to on Sun, so I can't do that. What time does byron close on Sat? I've been looking around but can't find it anywhere. Would it be worth going if i can't get there before 3 pm? I don't want to drive 2 hrs each way for one pass. GLD says they have bracket racing and t&t on Sat. Do you think I would be able to get a good number of runs there? I'm trying like hell to salvage a day at the track this weekend. I think more than anything right now I need volume and repetition.

bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 9:52 pm

Almost any weekend is going to be busy anywhere. The tracks work very hard at making sure of that. If you can't get there early, then don't bother, because Byron usually winds down around 4:00.

GLD would be open until 10:00 on Sat. and 5:00 on Sun.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 8:10 am

damn.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 11:31 pm

I went to GLD and it worked out great. We had to wait about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs between runs, but that's what I would have done anyway. there were only 4 t&t cars. 2 mustangs and a srt challenger. I was able to get some kind of consistency, 12.503, 12.464, 12.441, 12.438, 12.566. Did you run a 9 Tom?

bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 28th 2013, 6:41 am

No, I was testing the car. It shifted perfect with the new trans. Launched well off the T-Brake. I love that deal. I'm fairly confident that the converter is still ok on this setup, but not sure yet. I need to install my 2-step and harness.

I made one Nos pass. It was awesome! I hit my rev limiter in the burnout, so I knew it was a dead duck in the 3-4 shift. I have to be careful when spraying it if it goes into partial limp mode. Gotta get off the pedal fast!

Tim said I was spinning badly out to about 10 ft. and then it dead hooks and flies on the spray. I will be swapping in the 15 in. Bogart's and Willwood brakes and run off of a 29 or 30" in. slick. Hope to find out if the converter is going to work on spray, today. It might be too tight and slowing me down on NOS hits.

I did have a nice 10.99 hit on blower only. I was running it on the nitrous tune, so it had a bunch of timing taken out. The car felt strong!

Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 28th 2013, 7:54 am

what would cause it to go into limp mode in the 3-4? With the taller tire will you stay in 3rd? I had a bag of ice and a towel I put on my intake between runs and it helped cool it down, but if I had entered the street class it wouldn't have been enough time between runs to cool all the way down. I guess I need more ice.

bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2013, 8:51 am

Bill, I would never put ice on a HOT Aluminum intake manifold. It could crack. Only use fans on it. I carry a converted truck tool box ice chest and never use it on the intake. just saying.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2013, 5:15 pm

hmm. Have you ever heard of this happening from someone you believe? I've seen alum crack due to quenching, but only after being near it's melting point. I'm not saying it's impossible, and I don't even know what makeup of alum the intake is, but I would guess it's pretty unlikely. I've been wrong before, so I won't do it anymore until I can do some more research. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll get a spare battery to and find a way to power the cooling fans? What do you want for those old, beat up Bogarts? Wink

bill
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2013, 5:34 pm

Tim Barth and I were at Byron one day and I pointed to a Challenger that had a bag of ice on the intake. I said "Hey Tim, couldn't that ice crack the Aluminum intake and warp the valves?" Tim said "Hell yeah it could, don't ever do it."

Bill, I know you have much knowledge about working with metal. I was a welder for 5 years and around welders for many years. Tim is an actual fabricator and one of the best Tig welder artists I have ever seen. I know that when I used to weld cast iron I cooled the piece in a sandbox. Just leaving it out to air cool would crack it. Thermal forces at work. Being that our manifolds are also cast, I am erring on the side of caution and applying the same principles. Although it might be unlikely to introduce stress cracks, it could happen.

If the ice or a leaking bag of ice water droplets contacted one area of a hot manifold right next to an area that was not contacted and still hotter than the adjacent area, I could see this as a condition for introducing a stress crack. Fan forced fresh air applied evenly over the entire surface is the best way to cool it, I think.

I have the wheels and slicks sold. Sorry Bill.
Back to top Go down
funkpolice
CAMM All-Star
funkpolice

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2013, 6:56 pm

I know a lot about metal, but next to nothing about cars. I still think it's unlikely, but you've put enough doubt in my mind to make me stop. I'd rather be wrong and on your side of the fence than wrong on the other. I found a guy on lx that did exactly what I was thinking about with a spare battery running the cooling fans, I'll work on that some time.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2013, 7:05 pm

funkpolice wrote:
I know a lot about metal, but next to nothing about cars. I still think it's unlikely, but you've put enough doubt in my mind to make me stop. I'd rather be wrong and on your side of the fence than wrong on the other. I found a guy on lx that did exactly what I was thinking about with a spare battery running the cooling fans, I'll work on that some time.
Someone has the "I wanna go faster mod bug"
Ya Bill, I thought I had read somewhere to put ice on the intake between passes to help with the cool down. Tom seen me doing it at Byron last year and told me the same thing, so I havent done it since.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitimeApril 29th 2013, 9:09 pm

I'm just an old paranoid welder, lol. I see lot's of guys doing it too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm going to the track on Sun.   I'm going to the track on Sun. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm going to the track on Sun.
Page 1 of 1