Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Red Calipers

Go down 
+5
Moparcharger07
jontoad
jesse031081
Shawn1112
5.7daytona
9 posters
AuthorMessage
5.7daytona
CAMM Member

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 1:24 pm

hey guys just wondering if it is a pain in the ass to color match the Calipers to our cars? i was lucky enough to win a contest on Dodge Charger Forumz and i got a new set of front and rear Baer rotors, so i figured since i got those and just bought the Baer pads i might as well paint my calipers Torred or close to it if i can't match it exactly. if anybody has done this before can you give me any tips or adivce to make sure it's a smooth addition to my car. thanks everybody it's really appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 1:38 pm

Pretty simple job as long as your buddy doesnt do them when he is all fucked up, lol. Color match, no!!! Close, yes you will get close to the color. I know pep boys and auto zone sell a red caliper paint. I used engine enamel on mine because I couldnt get blue and silver caliper paint. Several members have done it and I'm sure they will chime in. I know you can paint with calipers still on the car, I took mine off. But if you take them off, you will need new crush washers where the brake line goes in to the caliper, and you will have to bleed the whole system. Biggest part of job and most important is the prep and cleaning of all the grease and dirt off. Brake cleaner works the best for cleaning.
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 2:55 pm

Mine are done in red but not color matched, I think its close enough. I ordered the g2 kit off of ebay for around $30. I painted them on the car and its lasted ok so far. It's been almost 3 years and I've noticed some paint has flaked off. I hope this helps
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 7:56 pm

i used the brush on kit you can get at the parts store. i am not a fan of the spray on caliper paint. the brush on smooths out as it drys and comes out perfect. i even re did my brembo's with that kit and put new brembo stickers on them. looks great.

i will say i used the same paint on my truck's calipers and the winter made it chip in few places. i don't drive the car in bad weather so it has held up perfect even during race events.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 10:32 pm

I've never used the brush on kit, but whenever I have painted my calipers, I've always used the high heat engine paint, it holds up. I DID use the red caliper spray on my mom's car, and it's all good.

But definately get a high heat, in whatever choice you use
Back to top Go down
scarbs
CAMM Member
scarbs

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2012, 12:50 am

I'v done both. The Brush is easier. They spray takes longer you have to tape off all the part.
I did the spray on my 300C, a base coat of Hitemp White then body color. The body color paint still looks good but if you get in close you can see its cracking. Its been on for 6 years and still no flaking.
Back to top Go down
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 15th 2012, 2:21 pm

I too have used the brush kit. It was very easy to do. I now have to do the rears.
Back to top Go down
5.7daytona
CAMM Member

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 1:01 pm

awesome info guys , so looks like i will be painting instead of spraying. i will be getting my rotors and pads on Sat , so i will give you a before and after shot of my car.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 1:27 pm

I just ordered the G2 kit from Ebay, going to do mine in black. I figure it's a cheap mod to do, and will look good when I get rims.
Back to top Go down
5.7daytona
CAMM Member

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 1:44 pm

do you guys know if you have to do the break in procedure for the Baer rotors and pads if you don't do any track racing? if so i live on the NW side and i really don't know of many places where i can get up to like 65 and then brake down to 15 4-5 times in a row, so where did you guys do this procedure or do you guys think i might just get away with my normal driving and not hard break for like 400-500 miles?
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 3:08 pm

You can break them in by the incinerators at night time, like after 7pm. You know where thats at? Cicero and Chicago ave area??
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 5:14 pm

take it up to the skokie lagoons and head down forest preserve drive.... you should easily be able to get up to 65, and slow down to 15 with no problems....
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 8:57 pm

I used to spray mine with the ceramic red caliper paint. Still looked like new 4 years later.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 9:15 pm

I wouldn't over heat them though. To be honest when I takes test drives after a brake job, I usuallly make like 4 stops from 50mph down to about 10mph. Then I like to let them sit for about 5 minutes while I bring my phone with and park the car and make a few phone calls or check my emails LoL. Then I do it again. The brakes will suck at first until you wear off the top coating of the rotors and pads....

Just don't wanna overheat them, otherwise you'll glaze the rotors and put a glaze on the surface of the pads, and you'll have a squeal from hell. They WILL smoke alot, but thats normal, it's from the oils they put on the rotors to prevent rusting when they are in the boxes.
Back to top Go down
5.7daytona
CAMM Member

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitimeJune 18th 2012, 11:18 pm

Hmm so then you guys are telling me that I have to do this break in to the pads and rotors and that my regular driving isn't sufficient. I just don't want to ruin them by some how not correctly breaking them in. But I guess if that is what I have to do then that is what I will have to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Red Calipers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Calipers   Red Calipers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Red Calipers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Exterior-
Jump to: