Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

h.i.d shorting out

Go down 
+2
The Black Stig
inkedup
6 posters
AuthorMessage
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 5:14 pm

the past few days now since monday in the morning my h.i.d's seem to shut off by themselves.if i cycle through the positions they turn back on but go off the angel eyes never shut off just low beam hid's...fogs are ok too...any idea's?
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 5:40 pm

How old are they?
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 6:19 pm

6mo.old or newer i got an appointment satuday to have them looked at but ot's in the cooler mornings it happens.its gonna ne one of those things where when i get there it stops.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 6:40 pm

im having a similar problem with my HID's, however i've attributed my problem to being a ballast getting to warm where i have it mounted, probably causing the thermal protector to open. Being when it's cold though, im not too sure... could be a loose connection, or a bad ballast as well....
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 7:00 pm

Cold wetaher issue.

1. Just plain Low battery voltage To verifiy this start the car with them off and then turn them on 30 sec's later. Fix new: battery

2. Shity ballast's. Fix buy better ones.

3. There going out, if you got some ebay ones the shef life is 6 months to a year and a half.

Fix by a new kit
Back to top Go down
goldberg1701
CAMM Pro
goldberg1701

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 11:44 am

They only last 6-18 months? So does that mean I'd have to buy whole new housings, or just new bulb/ballast combos when they go out?
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 1:12 pm

Just the ballast...the bulb should be good....I got mine from AAC and they have been in two years and the only time i've had problems with them is in the winter when they got really cold! - prolly gonna order a new set of ballasts before this winter rolls in though!
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 5:41 pm

goldberg1701 wrote:
They only last 6-18 months? So does that mean I'd have to buy whole new housings, or just new bulb/ballast combos when they go out?

No, I meant Most ebay kits lol, And You have a 2 year warranty on mine, NO just bulbs and ballast's. And if you an issue with in 2 years in three months yes you will need to buy a new kit. I expect 3 to 7 years before you need to do that.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stig
Supporting Vendor
The Black Stig

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 5:56 pm

xegitalian19xx wrote:
Just the ballast...the bulb should be good....I got mine from AAC and they have been in two years and the only time i've had problems with them is in the winter when they got really cold! - prolly gonna order a new set of ballasts before this winter rolls in though!

1. Murphy's law

2. Again Low battery voltage will keep one from coming on. A 5 year old batter is an 5 year old battery Wink
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 6:14 pm

i got my H.I.D kits off of ebay for 149.99 plus shipping, and they come with a lifetime warranty.... and I only had my problem happen maybe 2 times....
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 8:26 pm

These cars weren't designed for any type of voltage spikes. A cheap set of HID's and this will happen because they are CHINESE or TAIWANESE. You have to get the JAPANESE kit. They work flawlessly. Ballast and capacitor and no more problems. Also never set the car to flash the HL when you lock and unlock the doors, it's terrible on them.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 8:34 pm

i have another post about some of my gauges this might be my problem too..as for the hid kits i have they were all foine intill it started getting cooler out.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 8:34 pm

i have another post about some of my gauges this might be my problem too..as for the hid kits i have they were all foine intill it started getting cooler out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

h.i.d shorting out Empty
PostSubject: Re: h.i.d shorting out   h.i.d shorting out I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

h.i.d shorting out
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Electronics-
Jump to: