Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2009, 7:02 am

If you know how to build amp racks you and I are going to become good friends this winter!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2009, 12:28 pm

Kool, I did installs for about 5-6 yrs but havent done them in about 7yrs or so. I can still do basic set-ups but no exp in fabricating at all. I plan on going all out in my trunk over the winter, sounds like you want to do something similar. Maybe we could get together at the next show or meet and greet and discuss some ideas. I have an upholstery shop at work and I can get a great deal on leather,vinyl, and I think suede. The guys that work in the upholstery shop are pretty good, and would do some things for me on the side!
Back to top Go down
DA H.N.I.C.
CAMM Pro
DA H.N.I.C.

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2009, 3:20 pm

Rudedog74 wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum
so I apoligize in advance if i'm not.
I'm looking for some plexiglass or lexan, to build my Amp rack
I would like at least 1/2" perferably 3/4" for strength
I checked at Home Depot they would have to order it
and I would have to buy a 4' x 8' sheet for about $500 bucks!
I thought that was pretty crazy so I was hoping that someone would
have a source or another idea where to find some.

thanks in advance,
Rudy

I was gonna actually say Home Depot as well. Or Menards, or Lowe's. They all cary .220 and different colors, finishes, etc.

You could always sandwich glue multiple pieces together and save money. The right lexan glue would dry invisible and you wouldn't be able to tell there were multiple layers there.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2009, 4:48 pm

I would stay away from plexiglass and stick with lexan. Plexiglass is very brittle and tends to crack easily. Lexan is really strong and you can bend the hell out of it and it wont snap.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2009, 7:16 pm

Rudedog74 wrote:
Ok so anyone have a source for lexan? Wink
I can talk to my guy that made my show display tomorrow. He made my show display out of lexan.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2009, 7:23 pm

Rudedog74 wrote:
Ok so anyone have a source for lexan? Wink

I just went to home depot and got a few small pieces for the custom switch plates that I made. I not sure what the biggest size they have is.
Back to top Go down
Becstr
CAMM Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 1:48 pm

You can get lexan from Moore Glass in Joliet.I built a sub box out of 3/4 " thick lexan and it cost me about $700 5years ago.It's not an easy thing to work with.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 4:40 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
I would stay away from plexiglass and stick with lexan. Plexiglass is very brittle and tends to crack easily. Lexan is really strong and you can bend the hell out of it and it wont snap.

I think this is where sandwiching a few peices of plexi would solve this problem. The problem that might happen when gluing the plexiglass together is getting air bubbles between the layers, but if done correctly, it would look really good, and won't cost an arm and a leg. Are you going to make the entire box from plexi? or are you going to go with wood construction and plexi glass windows? To be honest, i couldnt see making this box to be very difficult... some basic carpentry, and a little internet research because im sure the boxes are sized for the sub you're putting in it, and I wouldnt doubt you save yourself a few hundred dollars over having someone else do it for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack   Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for Plexiglass for Amp Rack
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Electronics-
Jump to: