Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Side Moulding Removal

Go down 
+8
Iguanaman
inkedup
chargerchick
irishrt5.7
HiPwr
moaugust88
AlterEgo
Okie6.1
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

Side Moulding Removal Empty
PostSubject: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 4:48 pm

Wondering how to remove the chrome and color matched side moulding? Has anyone done this to there maggie? Is it painted underneath?
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 4:58 pm

There are a few people on here that have removed it. Be Careful!!!! I'm too chicken to do it to my Charger.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 5:00 pm

Me too! I want as mush help as i can get. Love to have it off there but don't want to screw anything up.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 5:28 pm

Well it's not hard to mess up what c'ha gotta watch out for is the bubbles on early years just 05s and very few 06s. What year do you have? And I don't think chargers even get anything bad outta this deal.
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 5:34 pm

I have an 05 magnum
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 6:21 pm

Umm ask Brian (Irish5.7) He de-molded his and found some bubbles in the paint. But you can wax them out but it becomes just a little more difficult but it isn't that bad. Usually you can get an early hint if you take off the HEMI badge and that little piece of side molding. Just try you never know.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 6:25 pm

Just rip it off like a band-aid! Wink
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 7:48 pm

I removed mine and waxing does not take them out... and now i have paint chipping away off of my door... personally dont do it..it looks good but i will bet the title to your car that you will have them on the 05...not to mention i have silver so its hard to see on my paint job.... others will be very noticeable...
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 7:50 pm

If you still want to remove... then here is what you do take a hairdryer and heat up the molding... use fishing string and slide it between the molding and the car... keep heating up if you feel it becoming hard to remove again.... this is the easy part... next once all moldings are removed take some goo gone and start removing the 3m tape that is left on the door... prepare for some sore fingers... lol ....
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 7:54 pm

Thanks for the instructions, Brian! I knew you were good for something! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Okie6.1
CAMM All-Star
Okie6.1

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 11th 2010, 8:00 pm

Ok I just might have to live with it till I can make sure I got the money to fix it if bubbles are present.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 10:54 pm

i paid a guy to take mine off,i watched him struggle a bit while i sat back and watched tv in the airconditioning.i cracked the whip a few times,told him to quit cry'in like a lil sissy nana and finish the other side.......no bubbles great job!!!!!total cost a hundo he also buffed the doors where the moldings were......i took my badges off on my trunk bad idea put a few chips in the ole paint-job
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 8:18 am

I'm leaving the molding on mine...I like it...but I (well, DA H.N.I.C. did it) debadged the trunk and front fenders and had no paint chipping problems.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 9:37 am

This was a problem on the early builds... 05s they got there shit together the next year and said duh if we put it on early while its wet something bad could come of this...lol
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 10:27 am

I'm 80% sure my paint is F'ed up under my moldings. i think i see a bit of a change in how the paint looks on the like half an inch that the molding doesn't cover on the door. that is the only reason i keep mine one. with hearing how many people have paint problems under theres on 06ish cars I'm not taking it off. but i did take almost all the badges off my trunk and move the SRT badge like 4 inches lower on the lid.
Back to top Go down
inkedup
CAMM All-Star
inkedup

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 10:44 am

take 'em off it makes a world of a difference......have a bodyshop do it they wont mess it up drink
Back to top Go down
Pomps
CAMM Pro
Pomps

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 11:57 am

I have an 05. did it to mine, and no bubbling. Just a quick wax and buff made the paint match from the ghosting.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 12:19 pm

inkedup wrote:
take 'em off it makes a world of a difference......have a bodyshop do it they wont mess it up drink

Its not a matter of messing them up its a matter of how they painted the cars and when they applied the moldings... all of mine was good except my drivers door...
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 1:44 pm

inkedup wrote:

yea what irish said. none of us are afraid to do it because of the job itself. i have debadged a lot of cars. having a body shop do the job would be wasting money. if the paint is messed up under the molding they would just tell you you need a repaint.

for some reason they didn't let the paint cure on some cars before putting the molding on at the factory causing clear coat issues. i have also heard many LX cars had their paint touched up before delivery with the molding still on the car (which looks like what is on mine). if you pull them off when that is the issue there is a hard line in the clear coat that no amount of buffing would solve.

i don't feel like paying to have my doors repainted so I'm leaving mine on.

Last edited by jontoad on June 20th 2010, 1:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 1:45 pm

I felt like I was pulling my kids arm off when I did mine. But I am very glad I did it, makes the car look so much nicer IMO.
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 7:06 pm

I did mine, mine's an 06. I just pulled it off on a mega hot day while it was sitting in the sun, didn't have any problems, BUT my old 01 Neon I had prior to the Charger DID have a couple little imperfections under the molding after removal, wasn't TOO bad though, it was a dark blue color so it was pretty noticable, BUT I'm picky so I'm sure nobody else noticed it LOL
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 7:09 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
I felt like I was pulling my kids arm off when I did mine. But I am very glad I did it, makes the car look so much nicer IMO.

You have a kid? Hello?
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 8:47 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
eviltrycycle wrote:

You have a kid? Hello?

Well no but if I had one.... GEESH
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 11:04 pm

Mine is staying on no matter what. It's saved my doors from getting dinged quite a few times already. Parking spaces are so tiny and people don't give a crap when flinging their doors open. I like the nice clean look but I like not having dents in my doors even better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side Moulding Removal   Side Moulding Removal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side Moulding Removal
Page 1 of 1