Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tire Pressure Sensor Question

Go down 
+5
eviltrycycle
jontoad
Shawn1112
moaugust88
ChargerSRT
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

Tire Pressure Sensor Question Empty
PostSubject: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 12:53 pm

Today I went out to my car and it said that one of tires was low and I went to fill it but the part that the cap screws onto broke.

Does anybody know where I can get this fixed cheap?
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:02 pm

Not really you'll have a buy a new sensor.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:25 pm

ChargerSRT wrote:
Today I went out to my car and it said that one of tires was low and I went to fill it but the part that the cap screws onto broke.

The valve where you put the air in?
Back to top Go down
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:28 pm

Yes the threaded part for the cap
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:32 pm

yea you need an entire new sensor. obviously it was cracked before because i think you just found where the slow leak you were talking about was.

they are about 35-40 bux new plus you are going to have to have a tire shop pop the tire off the rim to install it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:34 pm

If you go but it from the dealer my buddy has a tire shop in Elgin. He will put it on for like $10.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:39 pm

just make sure you get a 315hz sensor for the 05-07 chargers. the newer chargers use 433hz and they wont work.
Back to top Go down
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:40 pm

jontoad wrote:
yea you need an entire new sensor. obviously it was cracked before because i think you just found where the slow leak you were talking about was.

they are about 35-40 bux new plus you are going to have to have a tire shop pop the tire off the rim to install it.

I had NTB (yeah the same place I said that I would never go to again) quote me $200 to install a new one. It was $157 just for the sensor. Where can I find it for the price you said?
Back to top Go down
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:40 pm

jontoad wrote:
just make sure you get a 315hz sensor for the 05-07 chargers. the newer chargers use 433hz and they wont work.

I'll remember that
Back to top Go down
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:41 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
If you go but it from the dealer my buddy has a tire shop in Elgin. He will put it on for like $10.

Once I get it I will PM you asking for his info.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:48 pm

ChargerSRT wrote:
jontoad wrote:

I had NTB (yeah the same place I said that I would never go to again) quote me $200 to install a new one. It was $157 just for the sensor. Where can I find it for the price you said?

holy shit. no wonder NTB's are going out of business and we are taking over there old stores. lol. my shop sells them for around 40 each for the sensor itself and install would be much cheaper than what they quoted you too.

if you want to buy it online and have shawns guy do it here is one place you can get it.

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/tire-pressure-sensor-tpms68001696ab.html?cat=757
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:53 pm

Jon, all that has to be done is replace the valve stem correct? Or is there more to it?
Back to top Go down
ChargerSRT
CAMM Pro
ChargerSRT

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:55 pm

jontoad wrote:
ChargerSRT wrote:
jontoad wrote:

holy shit. no wonder NTB's are going out of business and we are taking over there old stores. lol. my shop sells them for around 40 each for the sensor itself and install would be much cheaper than what they quoted you too.

if you want to buy it online and have shawns guy do it here is one place you can get it.

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/tire-pressure-sensor-tpms68001696ab.html?cat=757

what time does your shop close 2day? and where is it?
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:56 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Jon, all that has to be done is replace the valve stem correct? Or is there more to it?

the sensor is the valve stem. you install it from inside the rim so the tire has to be popped off the bead and pushed down out of the way or dismounted. then you un bolt the nut that holds it on the outside of the wheel and drop the sensor out. then just bolt the new one in. you can not do it without a tire machine but it does not need to be rebalanced if you only pop the top bead.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 1:58 pm

jontoad wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:

the sensor is the valve stem. you install it from inside the rim so the tire has to be popped off the bead and pushed down out of the way or dismounted. then you un bolt the nut that holds it on the outside of the wheel and drop the sensor out. then just bolt the new one in. you can not do it without a tire machine but it does not need to be rebalanced if you only pop the top bead.
My buddy has a full service tire shop, I was just wondering if anything special was needed. Sounds simple enough.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 2:02 pm

ChargerSRT wrote:
jontoad wrote:
ChargerSRT wrote:
jontoad wrote:

what time does your shop close 2day? and where is it?

we aren't open today its a holiday. hence why im at home posting. lol. we are open during the week 8-6 and saturdays 8-5. we are not open on sundays. i would have to check if we have one in stock too. if i don't have one in stock most times i can get one within a day from one of my other stores. i am not working wedensday also since i have that day off to take my car to modern muscle. my shop is discount tire 1117 east ogden ave. naperville IL. phone number 630-428-0178
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeMay 31st 2010, 2:31 pm

jontoad wrote:
holy shit. no wonder NTB's are going out of business and we are taking over there old stores.

NO LIE!!! Geesh.
Back to top Go down
cjresto
CAMM Member
cjresto

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2010, 7:41 am

ChargerSRT wrote:

Same thing happened to me last year. If you put chrome or aluminum caps on these they will corode and fuse to the valve stem and cause it to snap off when you try to remove it. Discount tire the best way to go they always have the best prices.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2010, 8:01 pm

cjresto wrote:
ChargerSRT wrote:

Same thing happened to me last year. If you put chrome or aluminum caps on these they will corode and fuse to the valve stem and cause it to snap off when you try to remove it. Discount tire the best way to go they always have the best prices.

if that happens again i have some tricks for getting fused valve caps off without braking sensors. it involves a cookie buffer and some steady hands.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2010, 8:23 pm

cjresto wrote:
ChargerSRT wrote:

When Jon did my tires he told me about my SRT caps that I have on there. I give them a cycle everytime I detail the car. Jon says it prevents the caps from having that chemical reaction that welds them to the valve stem.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeJune 1st 2010, 8:29 pm

Illinois Chaos wrote:
cjresto wrote:
ChargerSRT wrote:

When Jon did my tires he told me about my SRT caps that I have on there. I give them a cycle everytime I detail the car. Jon says it prevents the caps from having that chemical reaction that welds them to the valve stem.

well. it doesn't fully prevent corrosion but it doesn't allow it enough time to fully sieze on. if you turn em back and forth a bit once in a while it prevents the full siezeure. some white powder corrosion can still form though. if you want to prevent that pull them fully off and wipe some wd40 on the threads once in a while.
Back to top Go down
ttruckinon
CAMM Pro
ttruckinon

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2010, 7:50 am

jontoad wrote:
Illinois Chaos wrote:
cjresto wrote:
ChargerSRT wrote:

well. it doesn't fully prevent corrosion but it doesn't allow it enough time to fully sieze on. if you turn em back and forth a bit once in a while it prevents the full siezeure. some white powder corrosion can still form though. if you want to prevent that pull them fully off and wipe some wd40 on the threads once in a while.

Try using white Lithium Grease instead. It also is good for wheel studs and around the center of wheels to keep them from "Bonding".
Back to top Go down
RT!st!C
CAMM Pro
RT!st!C

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2010, 10:33 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
jontoad wrote:
holy shit. no wonder NTB's are going out of business and we are taking over there old stores.

NO LIE!!! Geesh.

sounds like the place he went to is in a hard place and about to go under, and that was a last ditch effort, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire Pressure Sensor Question   Tire Pressure Sensor Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire Pressure Sensor Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Wheels and Suspension-
Jump to: