Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Information about Turbos and Superchargers

Go down 
+5
bogieboy
Kooch
jontoad
Illinois Chaos
cjresto
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cjresto
CAMM Member
cjresto

Information about Turbos and Superchargers Empty
PostSubject: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 10:25 am

Check out this video about the differences in superchargers and Turbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGdg2Fd2WQY
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 11:17 am

Jim, nice thread. Sounds like your debating between the 2. Blown and stroked?
Back to top Go down
cjresto
CAMM Member
cjresto

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 11:25 am

Yep, right now its in the process of getting stroked hope to have it back in a few weeks. Probably go with a supercharger as the next step in the cars evolution. Hopefully before next spring, we shall see.
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 12:33 pm

Nice
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 1:58 pm

turbos are nice but unless your looking for serious high boost the amateur mechanic should always go supercharger in my opinion.

sure they take power to make power. but you can by pass it with a short belt if you have problems or un install it in under an hour if you need to. plus you don't have to fabricate turbo manifolds and the cost is much lower for a blower.
Back to top Go down
Kooch
CAMM Member
Kooch

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 3:10 pm

good find, thanx for sharing....
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJune 4th 2010, 12:31 am

What Jon said.......I did a supercharger build, and if I didn't fuck up putting the lines on wrong for the fuel regulator, I would have had it installed on a saturday, start to finish.......but I fuckled the reg install and blew out all of my fuel line......LOLz....better now than later right?
Back to top Go down
Hurst Pak
CAMM Pro
Hurst Pak

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJune 4th 2010, 8:21 pm

Very cool
Back to top Go down
Gladius
CAMM Member
Gladius

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 10:00 am

The way I see it, turbo's only real advantage (aside from the parasitic loss which is mostly negligible in most modern S/C's) over a blower is the ability to produce over 25lbs of boost. If you're not building a super dragster running tons of boost, a blower really is more practical.

Some folks want turbo's because they sound pretty wicked when spooled up and others love taunting other drivers with their turbo "sneeze". That's where they boost the car up then chop the throttle causing excess pressure to pop off through the wastegate making a loud and distinctive sound. I've seen many guys use this as a warning to other drivers that "I'm armed and dangerous". Smile

I seriously considered a Hellion turbo system over my Kenne Bell, but in the end I went with the S/C. Not because the KB made more power, because it doesn't, but because it gives me the type of power I was looking for... and that's instant full power right off idle. I don't need to mash the peddle to the floor, if I give my car 1/4 throttle, hold on Nelly because it's going to hit full boost instantly and it's going forward NOW. I do mostly street driving vs. strip racing so having low end instant on torque is more useful to me. I also hit cruise nights and pop the hood, and the blower (IMHO) looks far more interesting than the turbos for my car which are mostly hidden under the motor.

If I were racing on the strip every weekend and I wanted to make the most power I could, I would have likely gone with the turbos since turbo lag really isn't an issue in that application.

So, it really boils down to what you want to do with the car. Either system will be killer really... I wish I had the resources to build another Challenger with the Hellion turbo's and keep my current Challenger too. If only I played the lottery. Smile
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 11:18 am

Not going to get into the supercharger war debate, BUT I have observed that almost every car running a turbo setup runs like shit. Either that or it's so out of control that the driver can't handle it. I've seen guys in vets that look really bad ass leave cruise nights trying to impress everyone and when they jump on it it sounds like a popcorn machine gone haywire. They end up looking like douche bags. lol.
Back to top Go down
Gladius
CAMM Member
Gladius

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 11:27 am

Illinois Chaos wrote:
Not going to get into the supercharger war debate, BUT I have observed that almost every car running a turbo setup runs like shit. Either that or it's so out of control that the driver can't handle it. I've seen guys in vets that look really bad ass leave cruise nights trying to impress everyone and when they jump on it it sounds like a popcorn machine gone haywire. They end up looking like douche bags. lol.
LOL,

There's that too. Very Happy

I would suspect many installs are haphazard at best. Not much thought put into them other than "I'm putting a turbo on here and running as much boost as I can until the motor grenades". The bad thing about having 30lbs of boost sitting there waiting for the turn of a wrench is too tempting to some folks. Smile

I don't think turbo whistle is nearly as cool sounding as blower whine. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 11:58 am

I love the fact that my supercharger doesn't have a gear whine.......no one suspects me that way........LOL it has just enough whine to let the people that actually know about power that its there.......and not enough to clue in the ricers....hehehehe
Back to top Go down
bogieboy
CAMM All-Star
bogieboy

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 12:00 pm

Oh...and I contemplated a turbo setup too......I even have the turbo sitting in the garage.........its a nice Garrret variable vane...........
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 8:24 pm

Gladius wrote:
Illinois Chaos wrote:
LOL,

There's that too. Very Happy

I would suspect many installs are haphazard at best. Not much thought put into them other than "I'm putting a turbo on here and running as much boost as I can until the motor grenades". The bad thing about having 30lbs of boost sitting there waiting for the turn of a wrench is too tempting to some folks. Smile

I don't think turbo whistle is nearly as cool sounding as blower whine. Very Happy

And the Kenne Bell DOES sound badd ass.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 8:27 pm

yes it does...
Back to top Go down
Gladius
CAMM Member
Gladius

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2010, 5:33 pm

They don't look to shabby either.

Information about Turbos and Superchargers 941711127_qN8Bi-L
Back to top Go down
RT!st!C
CAMM Pro
RT!st!C

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2010, 8:22 pm

i want one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Information about Turbos and Superchargers   Information about Turbos and Superchargers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Information about Turbos and Superchargers
Page 1 of 1