Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

coolant reservoir caps

Go down 
+3
Iguanaman
moaugust88
jontoad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

coolant reservoir caps Empty
PostSubject: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 11:27 pm

i mentioned this in another thread before but i just wanted to bring it up i its own thread. everyone should look for dried coolant drips down their overflow reservoir's. dodge saw enough people getting coolant leaks to re-design the coolant caps. mine was leaking and you could see streaks of dried coolant down the side of the reservoir bottle. i finally got around to getting to the dealer to get the new cap. they do not sell the old cap anymore.

the design is way different. the new one is all gasket where it seals to the reservoir, very nice. the old one has a much smaller gasket with a metal ring, the original design is a stupid one because that metal ring contacts the reservoir before the gasket is crushed down to seal causing the leaks.

the new cap is kinda ugly since the top is just round black plastic. i just bought a BT trunk emblem badge that was anodized red with "SRT" engraved on it at the show Sunday for 10 bux, so i just stuck that on top of it. looks good, no more leaks.

new cap was $20.50 but he gave it to me for $15.38 since was wearing my work shirt. apparently my shop gets discounts on parts at the local dealer...

part number of the new cap is 4596198
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 11:31 pm

Would this affect 5.7s as well. I haven't noticed anything on mine.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 11:45 pm

I thought my coolant looked low. I have the old metal cap. I'll check for leaks marks.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 12:04 am

moaugust88 wrote:
Would this affect 5.7s as well. I haven't noticed anything on mine.

they are the same reservoir and cap on all LX cars with any engine.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 12:06 am

Iguanaman wrote:
I thought my coolant looked low. I have the old metal cap. I'll check for leaks marks.

i know i saw it on another car at the show Sunday and was talking to them about it, i think it was Tom.
Back to top Go down
moaugust88
CAMM Pro
moaugust88

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 12:21 am

Defiantly have to check it in the morning just in case. But I asked if it affect certain cars cause you know that sludge problem was with 3.5 and 6.1s. I was just wondering but preventive maintenance is always better.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 9:02 am

Jon, can you post a pic of the cap? And I have the BT under hood kit, do you think my BT cap cover will fit the new cap?
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 9:33 am

Good info, Jon.
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 10:02 am

Good info bro...I actually just had to top off my coolant the other day again...I just talked with my dealer and ordered the new one! Reps to you bro!
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 12:52 pm

I have smelled coolant from time to time and could never find anything. Now I will keep an eye opened for that, thanks Jon.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 7:40 pm

liljoejoe54 wrote:
Jon, can you post a pic of the cap? And I have the BT under hood kit, do you think my BT cap cover will fit the new cap?

the bt cap does not fit unless you shave a bit of material off. burkdadhemi on the Z dremmeled his bt cap to fit and it worked fine. so you can make it work if you want.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 7:44 pm

jontoad wrote:
liljoejoe54 wrote:

the bt cap does not fit unless you shave a bit of material off. burkdadhemi on the Z dremmeled his bt cap to fit and it worked fine. so you can make it work if you want.

No, shit? BT is not distinguising between the caps on older cars and newer ones. Either the new cars don't have this cap either, or BT is selling caps that won't fit newer cars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: coolant reservoir caps   coolant reservoir caps I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

coolant reservoir caps
Page 1 of 1