Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

removing mufflers causes check engine light?

Go down 
+6
xegitalian19xx
Illinois Chaos
liljoejoe54
jesse031081
HiPwr
pjcharger
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

removing mufflers causes check engine light? Empty
PostSubject: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 5:35 pm

Just checkin to see, I'm going to do it tomorrow. The guy suggested i completely remove the entire system and put straight pipes from the cat just in case I need to put the entire system back on.

I never intend to go stock again and that he said is an extra $300. he said in case the muffler removal causes a back pressure problem and forces the check engine light then you can put the system back on easier if needed.

Has anyone ever had that problem where removing the mufflers causes a check engine light?

I was going to have all of them removed, then maybe put blastin bobs on the end if it was too loud with no mufflers
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 5:58 pm

I'd consider just removing the resonators and replacing them with Blastin' Bob's before going that far. That's what we did on mine and I'm very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 6:00 pm

Ive had no issues and ive hacked up my exhaust. I know you have kids so you might wanna keep the resonators to prevent drone.
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 6:19 pm

kids dont ride in it much, i was thinking of starting with suitcase 1st, then adding the bobs later
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 6:21 pm

that's what elcobra is running and it sounds good
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 6:28 pm

pjcharger wrote:
kids dont ride in it much, i was thinking of starting with suitcase 1st, then adding the bobs later

I did that first before I put the blastin bobs on. I was running dual flowmaster 40's in place of the suitcase muffler and kept the resos on. It sounded really good when you start it up and when you floor it but was quiet in the cabin when cruising. I think you and your kids would like this setup. It was too quiet for me so I hacked off my resos and put my blastin bobs on.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I never had any problems with back pressure or the check engine light coming on with either the flows or the blastin bobs.
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 6:32 pm

maybe try to make it to the first mod day on the 13th before you change it. id be happy to take you around the block and im sure others would do the same. that way you can get an idea of waht you like. nothing like hearing it in person, youtube doesn't give the whole effect
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 6:50 pm

I just left my exhaust system alone. Instead I purchased a copy of the "Sounds of the Funny Car Nationals" I just play that on the stereo when I leave stop lights and shit. Only cost me 3.87 on sale and you sound like Don Garlits. scratch Suspect
Back to top Go down
xegitalian19xx
Founding Member
Founding Member
xegitalian19xx

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 6:52 pm

You could also go with just SLP shotgun mufflers & no reso's and be the loudest kid on the block Smile

Just the way I like it though, def. not for everyone!
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 9:15 pm

jesse031081 wrote:
that's what elcobra is running and it sounds good

did you mean he is running no suitcase and blastin bob tips?
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 9:16 pm

i saw the meet but the 13th is pretty tight and mchenry is a bit far. i do plan on making a meet this year. I played 360 online with ummmm a couple guys here the other day. I think elcobra was one of them
Back to top Go down
jesse031081
CAMM All-Star
jesse031081

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 9:29 pm

elmatto has no muffler and has factory resonaters

Last edited by jesse031081 on February 2nd 2010, 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 9:53 pm

ok thx
Back to top Go down
AlterEgo
Founding Member
Founding Member
AlterEgo

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2010, 10:42 pm

pjcharger wrote:
i saw the meet but the 13th is pretty tight and mchenry is a bit far.

You are welcome to come if you can make it. DesPlaines isn't that far from McHenry, plus you get to meet all of us AND have some food and drinks while you are here!
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 6:15 am

haha its possible in the evening, the kids have a basketball game at 4pm. I see your gathering starts at 1pm. Will it still be going strong later in the evening around 7 or 8? Still prolly doubtful but figured id ask
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 7:22 am

ill tell you first hand you will not get a check engine light.. i drove prob 100 miles w/ just LT headers and high flow mids...nothing else on the car no engine light ever and i was romping on it because the sound was music to my ears... very loud...like to the point i had to go into neutral every time i was near a cop so i didnt get a ticket...i have since then put on cherry bomb extreme mufflers and it is still very loud but not loud enough that i have ever gotten into trouble...
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 2:18 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
ill tell you first hand you will not get a check engine light.. i drove prob 100 miles w/ just LT headers and high flow mids...nothing else on the car no engine light ever and i was romping on it because the sound was music to my ears... very loud...like to the point i had to go into neutral every time i was near a cop so i didnt get a ticket...i have since then put on cherry bomb extreme mufflers and it is still very loud but not loud enough that i have ever gotten into trouble...

loud enough to make your ears bleed....It sounds like a beast though!!!
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 2:37 pm

Very Happy naaa i cant wait to see how she sounds once i start doing more to the motor...
Back to top Go down
Moparcharger07
CAMM Member
Moparcharger07

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 2:54 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:

You'rs is berry berry loud
Back to top Go down
Illinois Chaos
CAMM All-Star
Illinois Chaos

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 3:24 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
Very Happy naaa i cant wait to see how she sounds once i start doing more to the motor...

A John Deere, or an IH motor? scratch huh wut?
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 3:43 pm

Shit there aint nuthin better then dem john deerrrr....
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 4:20 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
Shit there aint nuthin better then dem john deerrrr....

What about a Toro,Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh......????lol...

or this

removing mufflers causes check engine light? Mower
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2010, 4:21 pm

lol..... damn that would get my lawn done perty fast
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: removing mufflers causes check engine light?   removing mufflers causes check engine light? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

removing mufflers causes check engine light?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Engine & Trans Performance-
Jump to: