Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Radar Detectors

Go down 
+10
Admin
eviltrycycle
firestartr420
liljoejoe54
irishrt5.7
jontoad
ChiTownHemi
HiPwr
Shawn1112
HEMI UP
14 posters
AuthorMessage
HEMI UP
CAMM Member
HEMI UP

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 2:58 pm

Well the snow well be gone be for you know it(we can only hope) and we will be ready to put the foot down but wait what about those speed traps and don't mention those dam red light cams with those bull sh*t 100.00 fines. well I'v been looking around ran across this site YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THIS www.radarbuster.com if you never want to pay another red light ticket or speeding ticket again.
I'm going with a Bel RX65 along with a few other items and yes they cover radar jamers just don't get cought with one. lets talk after you go to this site
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 3:20 pm

Very nice, although I'm not a fan of radar detectors. You would have too get 3-4 speeding tickets to cover the cost of the radar detector. Average speeding ticket is $75.00, another thing they are against the law in Illinois. I dont give a fuck about stupid laws like this, but if they see it its just another reason to pull you over and hassle you. I like to cruise in the city alot, and I cant stand the fucking Chicago Police dept. Bigger crooks than Illinois politicians! So anything I can do, to not have them fuck heads pull me over is a bonus.
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 3:23 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
. . . another thing they are against the law in Illinois.

Wow, no shit? I was completely oblivious. Are they running radar detector detectors? I know some states do that. Especially for truckers.

EDIT: According to this site (http://www.1stradardetectors.com/radar-detector-laws.php), detectors are NOT illegal but laser jammers are.
Back to top Go down
HEMI UP
CAMM Member
HEMI UP

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 3:56 pm

That's right radar detector are cool jammers get you jail time. Has for tickets being $75.00 since when you get hit with a ticket go to school to keep it off your record is a $150 fine detector worth it to me. Also getting the plate cover so no more BULL SH*T $100.00 red light tickets. Please go to the sight and get educated on the matters weather you like detectors or not it will enlight you on how the police operate and set up the system to take your mod money
Back to top Go down
ChiTownHemi
CAMM All-Star
ChiTownHemi

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 5:45 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Very nice, although I'm not a fan of radar detectors. You would have too get 3-4 speeding tickets to cover the cost of the radar detector. Average speeding ticket is $75.00, another thing they are against the law in Illinois. I dont give a fuck about stupid laws like this, but if they see it its just another reason to pull you over and hassle you. I like to cruise in the city alot, and I cant stand the fucking Chicago Police dept. Bigger crooks than Illinois politicians! So anything I can do, to not have them fuck heads pull me over is a bonus.

I'm a huge proponent of radar detectors. Mine has saved my ass countless times and you really have to take into consideration more than just $75 fine. Increased insurance rates can be the killer. The thing about radar detectors is that you can't fall into the trap of a false sense of security. Radar detectors will not stop you from getting a ticket by laser or instant on. But when mine goes off, I know there's a cop around and to take it easy.
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 6:04 pm

im not a fan of radar detectors. they make you stop using your eyes, i used to get more tickets when i had a radar dector so i threw the damn thing out and have been better off since.

jammers on the other hand are nice, so are plate blockers for photos...
Back to top Go down
ChiTownHemi
CAMM All-Star
ChiTownHemi

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 6:46 pm

I also found that the cheaper Radar Detectors are mostly crap and go off all the time so they're basically a pain in the ass. Valentine One and 1 or 2 other highly rated RD's do a great job of filtering out the false alarms. When mine goes off, it's about 98% that there's a cop around so I take it easy. The V1 has directional arrows too so you know whether they're in front, behind or side of you and where to look for them.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 7:02 pm

i have one and its a cheap one and i don't really care if it goes off weather it is false or not it keeps me on my toes...

I once was told by a cop that it doesn't matter that i have a radar detector all those things are going to do is tell you that you are getting a ticket because by the time that it goes off they already have you if they are using a laser...
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 8:00 pm

irishrt5.7 wrote:
i have one and its a cheap one and i don't really care if it goes off weather it is false or not it keeps me on my toes...

I once was told by a cop that it doesn't matter that i have a radar detector all those things are going to do is tell you that you are getting a ticket because by the time that it goes off they already have you if they are using a laser...
I have heard the same thing
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 8:03 pm

HiPwr wrote:
Shawn1112 wrote:
. . . another thing they are against the law in Illinois.

Wow, no shit? I was completely oblivious. Are they running radar detector detectors? I know some states do that. Especially for truckers.

EDIT: According to this site (http://www.1stradardetectors.com/radar-detector-laws.php), detectors are NOT illegal but laser jammers are.
I remember reading in Dec 08 the new laws that were going into effect for 2009, and radar detectors were illeagal as of Jan 09. The Sun Times could have printed it wrong and it should have said Jammers, but I'm positive it said radar detectors.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 8:05 pm

Also getting the plate cover so no more BULL SH*T $100.00 red light tickets

A few people on another forum said that these dont work anymore. I was going to order it off a website, and asked if people were using them and if it worked, and thats the response I got.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 8:15 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Also getting the plate cover so no more BULL SH*T $100.00 red light tickets

A few people on another forum said that these dont work anymore. I was going to order it off a website, and asked if people were using them and if it worked, and thats the response I got.

Mythbusters did a show on them and they didnt work.
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 8:38 pm

I thought i saw it on something but couldn't remember what...
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 9:01 pm

well, i know about this topic cuz i've thought of most of these things and have looked up this info before.... 1) Radar Detector's are NOT illegal in the state of illinois, but radar jammers ARE illegal in Illinois, think of this on the big scale though.... if Radar Detectors were illegal to own, Best Buy, RadioShack, WalMart... all those stores wouldnt even carry them.... 2) On the issues of license plate blockers for the camera's. Those simply don't work... period.... the films, the spray's, the covers.... they just simply dont work, they've tested these products on numerous occasions on Discovery Channel (like mythbusters) and things.... Both of these things however do give you a false sense of security.... and radar detector or not, that isnt going to stop the power-hungry, power-trip "i think im better than cuz im a cop", Cop from pulling you over... i know because I got pulled over on New Years Eve, although i was doing nothing wrong, i still got a speeding ticket from the prick... so... Buy a radar dectector, but spend no less than $150 on it... anything cheaper just isnt worth your time. They are great for just the sheer knowledge that a cop might be in the area and to stay on your toes....
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2010, 10:34 pm

firestartr420 wrote:
if Radar Detectors were illegal to own, Best Buy, RadioShack, WalMart... all those stores wouldnt even carry them....

Not true, back in VA they are illegal to operate but you can purchase one and own one. If you get pulled over and it is visable, even if its not plugged in they will still give you a ticket. But you are correct on them not being illegal here, or at least they used to not be illegal.
Back to top Go down
firestartr420
CAMM All-Star
firestartr420

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2010, 12:33 am

well, hehe we could get technical and say that owning is different than operating Wink Wink heheh
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2010, 1:51 pm

I love my radar detector because I know how many times its saved my ass, specially on trips down state.. Police
Back to top Go down
MrsHoodie
CAMM Member
MrsHoodie

Location : Great lakes...or as I like to call it...the polar side of hell...

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2010, 10:49 am

http://www.radarbusters.com/illinoisradardetectorlawsarticle.cfm

http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/state-information/illinois/illinois-car-insurance-radar-detector-law-legalities.aspx

I have a radar detector, we got it as soon as we left Virginia. They arent illegal here. Just the jammers, which according to that insurance site, having one is even a felony. You cant have radar detectors in vehicles over 10,000lbs it says though. sooo...truckers..might wanna put it away lol. As far as price, mine was about 100$ and from sears. It has saved my ass wayyyyyyyy in advance. We had it on the drive up here and very certainly wouldve gotten a few speeding tickets if not lol...as far as the myth busters show... I saw that one... but as long as mine starts screaming in time for me to slow my monkey ass down... I dont care if it goes off 6000 times a day... I have NO tickets on my record ever and Id love to keep it that way. lol cheap insurance Cool well the no tickets and the fact that im old help... you know.
Back to top Go down
Hoodie
CAMM Pro
Hoodie

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2010, 8:27 am

MrsHoodie wrote:
http://www.radarbusters.com/illinoisradardetectorlawsarticle.cfm

http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/state-information/illinois/illinois-car-insurance-radar-detector-law-legalities.aspx

I have a radar detector, we got it as soon as we left Virginia. They arent illegal here. Just the jammers, which according to that insurance site, having one is even a felony. You cant have radar detectors in vehicles over 10,000lbs it says though. sooo...truckers..might wanna put it away lol. As far as price, mine was about 100$ and from sears. It has saved my ass wayyyyyyyy in advance. We had it on the drive up here and very certainly wouldve gotten a few speeding tickets if not lol...as far as the myth busters show... I saw that one... but as long as mine starts screaming in time for me to slow my monkey ass down... I dont care if it goes off 6000 times a day... I have NO tickets on my record ever and Id love to keep it that way. lol cheap insurance Cool well the no tickets and the fact that im old help... you know.

Was just about to post that we got one but the wifey beat me to it..

And on the false sense of security thing.. If that's what I need to keep me on my toes and slow my ass down, I'm all for it.. In my 6 years of driving, I have 3 speeding tickets and 2 reckless driving for speeding and haven't had a ticket in 3 years so yeah.. I need something to tell me to watch my speed..
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2010, 9:23 am

I heard a stat this morning that MD has issued nearly 9,000 tickets for speeding in the last six weeks with the use of speeding cameras.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/06/04/aa.speed.cameras.highways/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

If this happens here, I will definitely be getting a detector.
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2010, 10:16 am

I got a wireless one... real easy to take off and hide...no wires.... saved my ass many times!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2010, 10:30 am

Dartboy wrote:
I got a wireless one... real easy to take off and hide...no wires.... saved my ass many times!!!!!!

That sounds like the way to go. Which one is it?
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2010, 6:17 pm

Yeah Chris...I'd like to know too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radar Detectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radar Detectors   Radar Detectors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radar Detectors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Electronics-
Jump to: