Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HALO lighting

Go down 
+6
eviltrycycle
kaotik29
HiPwr
Dartboy
Headtripp
pjcharger
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 10:43 am

New to the forums just saw some pics of Halo lighting, wow that’s looks EVIL! I have an Inferno Red (oh no its not Maroon haha) Charger SRT8. What color halo would be best you think?
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 11:34 am

I would think if you are looking for that evil look Red only drawback is you can't have them on while driving so white would work too.
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 11:37 am

you cant have them on while driving? Meaning it physically wont work or you mean you can but its illegal?
Back to top Go down
Dartboy
Founding Member
Founding Member
Dartboy

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 12:04 pm

illegal ...can't have blue or red... (on while driving)

hey if you get green would look cool...all christmasy like! and you could drive with em on! Very Happy

I myself like the blues!!! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 12:13 pm

hmm I guess Id have to go red, with the red car any other color might look odd
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 12:18 pm

Make sure you read up on these things before you do anything, PJ. Hour upon hour and thousands of words have been devoted to making these things work correctly.

There can be a heavy price to pay for looking cool and that could just be your sanity.
Back to top Go down
kaotik29
CAMM Pro
kaotik29

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 12:38 pm

I myself would go with the red halos from AAC For your car. I have the red in my car and it does look like one pissed off Charger!!!
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 12:39 pm

pjcharger wrote:
New to the forums just saw some pics of Halo lighting, wow that’s looks EVIL! I have an Inferno Red (oh no its not Maroon haha) Charger SRT8. What color halo would be best you think?

When I was considering halos for my Inferno I was going back and forth between red and white.
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 1:05 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
pjcharger wrote:

When I was considering halos for my Inferno I was going back and forth between red and white.
She goes back and forth a lot you'll get used to her
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 1:12 pm

Headtripp wrote:

Are you saying that her "door swings both ways", Vic?
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 1:15 pm

HiPwr wrote:
Headtripp wrote:

HMMM we will have to just leave that to interpretation haha
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 2:38 pm

HiPwr wrote:
Make sure you read up on these things before you do anything, PJ. Hour upon hour and thousands of words have been devoted to making these things work correctly.

There can be a heavy price to pay for looking cool and that could just be your sanity.

Talk to me. I'm 5 months into a halo implementation with nothing installed yet. I bought a set from AAC and I bought a set from Flashtech. I know what's going on with both of the main halo suppliers. There are gotchas for both.

Basically, don't take this on lightly.

BTW...Illinois law states only white or amber while rolling. It's not just red and blue, but any other color that's illegal while rolling as well. You'll have people tell you they drive with them all the time and no problem...that may be true thus far, but it's up to you if you want to take that chance or not.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 2:41 pm

I have the blue from aac, I drive with them on and have had no problems yet!
Back to top Go down
HiPwr
HiPwr

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 2:49 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think halos look great.*

*On other people's cars.
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 6:47 pm

I love my halos but they have been a pain in the ass. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eviltrycycle
Founding Member
Founding Member
eviltrycycle

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 6:52 pm

Headtripp wrote:
eviltrycycle wrote:
pjcharger wrote:

HiPwr wrote:
Headtripp wrote:

Headtripp wrote:
HiPwr wrote:
Headtripp wrote:

Wow at the both of you.....
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 7:30 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
BTW...Illinois law states only white or amber while rolling. It's not just red and blue, but any other color that's illegal while rolling as well. You'll have people tell you they drive with them all the time and no problem...that may be true thus far, but it's up to you if you want to take that chance or not.

Shawn1112 wrote:
I have the blue from aac, I drive with them on and have had no problems yet!

^^^^^^Told You. CALLED IT!^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
Headtripp
Founding Member
Founding Member
Headtripp

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 8:38 pm

eviltrycycle wrote:
Headtripp wrote:
eviltrycycle wrote:
pjcharger wrote:

HiPwr wrote:
Headtripp wrote:

Headtripp wrote:
HiPwr wrote:
Headtripp wrote:

Wow at the both of you.....
Oh stop I just felt like messing with ya today
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 8:43 pm

Your a mind reader bro!!! lol
Just for peace of mind, I have talked to a couple of cops at some different car shows I went too over the summer. I showed them by led halos and asked if it was against the law. Their answer yes!!! My next question would you bother me if I was driving with them on. They said there was a chance they would pull me over, but would probably let me off with a warning as long as I wasnt a disrespectful punk gangbanger. I have also had cops coming at me in the opposite direction while I had my halos on, Have gotten a double look but never pulled over.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 8:53 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Your a mind reader bro!!! lol
Just for peace of mind, I have talked to a couple of cops at some different car shows I went too over the summer. I showed them by led halos and asked if it was against the law. Their answer yes!!! My next question would you bother me if I was driving with them on. They said there was a chance they would pull me over, but would probably let me off with a warning as long as I wasnt a disrespectful punk gangbanger. I have also had cops coming at me in the opposite direction while I had my halos on, Have gotten a double look but never pulled over.

Yeah, I mean I'm not saying you'll definitely get pulled over, and I'm not saying there's no way you will. I just decided:
1) I wanted something I could light all the time without having to worry about it, and
2) I don't go to enough shows to spend money and time on something I could only light without worrying at shows and M&Gs.

It's up to each person.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 8:58 pm

There is nothing wrong with that.
Back to top Go down
pjcharger
CAMM Pro
pjcharger

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 10:41 pm

ill keep an eye out maybe a future mod some red halos for the fog lights
Back to top Go down
jontoad
Founding Member
Founding Member
jontoad

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2009, 11:16 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
HiPwr wrote:

Talk to me. I'm 5 months into a halo implementation with nothing installed yet. I bought a set from AAC and I bought a set from Flashtech. I know what's going on with both of the main halo suppliers. There are gotchas for both.

i dont over analize. lol. i bought, got sent the wrong shit, hacked it up and installed it. been working perfect and looking great ever since. haha.
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2009, 12:12 am

jontoad wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:
HiPwr wrote:

i dont over analize. lol. i bought, got sent the wrong shit, hacked it up and installed it. been working perfect and looking great ever since. haha.

OK, well, here's a little bit of what I've learned:

AAC: They sell their LED rings without any kind of voltage regulator. They tout that you can hook them right up on your car and run them without an issue. But it's a gamble. Put your car in diagnostic mode (I know this is true with an R/T) and you'll find that the battery runs at a little over 14 volts...not the 12 volts the rings are designed to run at. The end result? too much current going across the rings heats them up. I've heard the surface temperature of the AAC rings being measured at over 140 degrees. And don't believe the video you see of pointing a BBQ temp. gun at the rings that shows them running at around 85 degrees. You have to measure the temp physically on the ring, not the ambient temp. When the rings heat up and cool in continuous cycles like this, it makes the solder for the resistors on the back of the ring brittle and "pop" they crack and you lose LEDs in a bank of (usually) 3 at a time...three LEDs to one resistor. I KNOW people have seen issues like that with AAC.

FLASHTECH: Flashtech does sell their LED halos with a regulator, but they have two different voltage requirements depending on the color of the LED...many of the colors are I believe 10 volts, but a few colors...amber being one of them...run at 7 volts. I'll speak to that because that's what I have.
The regulator that comes with them is adjustable down to 6.5 volts or so. But for the 7 volt rings, there's too much amperage trying to run 6 or 8 rings off the regulator. The end result is the regulators go into thermal shutdown...you get flickering and maybe a color shift (like from amber towards red). I've seen this in person when bench-testing my halos.

All that said, a guy on LXForums named plcman is working on a new dual regulator that will address these issues. I've spoken to him many times and he's a really knowledgeable guy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HALO lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: HALO lighting   HALO lighting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HALO lighting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Electronics-
Jump to: