Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars
Joining our club forum is FREE, so please take a few minutes to register and join us in Chicagoland's best Modern Mopar club on the web!

After joining, you will not only be able to communicate with our members, but other forums will be available for viewing and posting. These include our CAMM Swap section, featuring parts and vehicles for sale in the Chicagoland area, the Knowledge Base, Off Topic Areas and much, much more.

Advertisements will also be disabled for you once you join.

We openly invite you to join our online community and hope to see you posting soon!

Everything Mopar for the Chicagoland area

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Halo dimmers

Go down 
+6
chargerchick
irishrt5.7
liljoejoe54
Shawn1112
Admin
Iguanaman
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 2:14 pm

I'm going to be installing LED halos. I want to use manual dials to dim them. (potentiometers, PWM dimmers, I don't know).

Has anyone done this? What switches specifically did you use?

I'm also putting in LED grille lighting, so I'm putting the grille lighting on one circuit, and either all 8 rings on another, or splitting the rings 6/2 or 4/4.

If I'm the first, be expecting a how-to write up.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 2:16 pm

How about one of those bass knobs that you can twist to reduce or increase bass output from an aftermarket sub? Should look discrete, unless you want to go to HomeDepot and pick one up for a ceiling fan or something. Smile
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 2:18 pm

Reading my mind, Matt...I like the old school look. Radio Shack has some cool, small knobs...black with a white line (look like knobs off an old Mesa Boogie, or Lab Series amp) that I';m thinking of (small is good, too, because I'm planning on a switch panel in the shifter pocket).

I'm wondering more about the underlying electronics...like what to use below the panel surface. I'm really unsure.
Back to top Go down
Shawn1112
Founding Member
Founding Member
Shawn1112

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 2:50 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
Reading my mind, Matt...I like the old school look. Radio Shack has some cool, small knobs...black with a white line (look like knobs off an old Mesa Boogie, or Lab Series amp) that I';m thinking of (small is good, too, because I'm planning on a switch panel in the shifter pocket).

I'm wondering more about the underlying electronics...like what to use below the panel surface. I'm really unsure.
When your done you can come do mine!
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 3:12 pm

Shawn1112 wrote:
Iguanaman wrote:

When your done you can come do mine!

X2!!!!
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 3:38 pm

Wow...will I be changing my screen name to Dimmer Guy? pirat
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 3:40 pm

Thinking of something like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103791
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 3:43 pm

Here you go dave...

Halo dimmers IMGP3551

Found this on Custom magnums .com
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 3:58 pm

hmmmm..wouldn't the shifter get in the way of those knobs when it's in park?

I'm pretty set on the shifter pocket switch setup. joey has a nice custom Lexan one!
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 4:04 pm

ok well it was just a thought... i do like the pocket switch plates also... just came across this yesterday and was like thats pretty fucking cool except the switches for the seats are not in there anymore...that would have to be changed for me to get that... i am not big on lights though anymore for my car... just in the headlights... neons are not my style not since i was a rice burner...
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 4:05 pm

I'm with you on neons. I guess with any mod, lights or otherwise, to quote Spinal Tap:

"There's a fine line between clever...and stupid."
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 4:19 pm

x2
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 5:03 pm

You know why i love CAMM?

Look at all the replies here.

Posted the exact same posting over on LXF at eh same time.

Replies there? ZEEE-RO.

You guys kick A$$
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founding Member
Founding Member
Admin

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 5:09 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
irishrt5.7
CAMM All-Star
irishrt5.7

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 8:46 pm

yeah i know i hear you... i keep in touch w/ a couple members that i get along w/ really well... but i mainly use that forum now for knowledge and sale stuff...

CAMM is Family....
Back to top Go down
chargerchick
CAMM All-Star
chargerchick

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2009, 8:53 pm

Iguanaman wrote:
I'm with you on neons. I guess with any mod, lights or otherwise, to quote Spinal Tap:

"There's a fine line between clever...and stupid."

That's a great line! And very true!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kaotik29
CAMM Pro
kaotik29

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2009, 2:12 am

irishrt5.7 wrote:
yeah i know i hear you... i keep in touch w/ a couple members that i get along w/ really well... but i mainly use that forum now for knowledge and sale stuff...

CAMM is Family....
YES CAMM = FAMILY
Back to top Go down
DA H.N.I.C.
CAMM Pro
DA H.N.I.C.

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2009, 11:50 am

Just wanted to chime in here a sec.
The problem that we keep coming up with (if it IS a problem) is the function capabilities of a dimming knob.
I know the old bass knobs were made to increase/decrease volume, but was that in Ohms? And does it matter?
Because we need 3 switches for this install that raise and lower voltage, AND need to be able to turn the 3 separate lighting zones (headlight, foglight, grill) on & off, AND are made to control/run/work with a 12V power source, AND it needs to be automobile-groundable, it's been a little bit of a tough search. We found what we thought was a winner but in the fine print it clearly stated that it was NOT for automotive aplications. DAMMIT!!! Back to the drawing board!

To date, I have now installed and/or worked on 5 CCFL halo kits and installed 1 LED halo kit and helped install LEDs in the front cupholders which were no biggie. This will truly be a unique setup in that instead of going with the normal remote control dimming capabilities, this will be dimmed and turned on & off from inside the car. We will definitely take pics of the install but most of it will be nothing out of the ordinary, except for the fact that I refuse to get power from any of the 3 cigarette lighters.

Stay tuned 'cuz it's gonna look badass when it's complete!!
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2009, 1:26 pm

^^^And if it ends up being dimmers w/o on-off, and doing separate toggles for the on/off, I (don't know about Diallo) am ok with it.
Back to top Go down
himfast07
CAMM Member
himfast07

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2009, 4:00 pm

I'm still looking for the dimmers. When I find them I'll let you know. scratch
Back to top Go down
DA H.N.I.C.
CAMM Pro
DA H.N.I.C.

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2009, 4:59 pm

himfast07 wrote:

I'm still looking for pictures of your halos installed.................when you find those.......................let me know!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Iguanaman
CAMM All-Star
Iguanaman

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2009, 5:51 pm

What about this one? (middle pic):

http://www.digitallighting.com/animationfolder/AD105.htm
Back to top Go down
himfast07
CAMM Member
himfast07

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 12:25 pm

DA H.N.I.C. wrote:
himfast07 wrote:

I'm still looking for pictures of your halos installed.................when you find those.......................let me know!! Wink

Yeah Yeah. It's kinda hard to get a good pic. They are soooooo bright. I was driving in front of them & they didn't look too bad. I'll try to post some later on today.
Back to top Go down
liljoejoe54
liljoejoe54

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 28th 2009, 7:40 pm

hey I just found this dimmer switch.....
http://www.oznium.com/rotary-dimmer

It might not be the color you want but you can maybe hide it under the dash or something.
Back to top Go down
HemiMag
CAMM All-Star
HemiMag

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitimeSeptember 28th 2009, 7:43 pm

^^^just spray with some paint and itll be good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Halo dimmers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halo dimmers   Halo dimmers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halo dimmers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars :: The Garage :: Electronics-
Jump to: